• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Upgrading scope ?

Huey

What's the best way to upgrade your scope?

I have a Leupold Vari X-II on my deer rifle and want to upgrade to a higher pwoered Vari X-III. Do stores take old scopes as a trade-in? like trading in an old gun on a new one. Or is it best just to try sell the old scope on my own?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Huey

I would try to sell the one you have on your own and then buy a new one outright. A great place to sell the scope if you need help is in the For Sale ads right here on Fishing Minnesota as most items reasonably priced sell fairly fast.

When it comes to new scopes, take your time and check out all the different glass companies as there are some very good scopes to be had for a fair price.

Your VX II is still a very nice scope. If you want a new one because you want a higher powered scope, you should have no problem selling it.

I agree with rootslayer, the Nikon Monarch is very nice!

I've never had much luck selling a used scope, no one wants to buy one that you are dumping as most assume its junk. I always just move them down if I get new ones. The old goes to a lesser gun and on down the line. Some say I have too many guns though... I do have an old extra scope just laying around collecting dust too I think.

I usually sell them as I have enough gear collecting dust. Seems whenever I save some gear and think I will use it another day, I dont. I have also passed down some scopes to other guns but all my rifles have scopes so for me, it's usually going to be sold.

The same thing happens to me with fishing rods, I have upgraded over the years in quality and the other retired rods hang in the garage on the wall. Kind of like the wall of no use. Last year I started handing them out to others with kids to save them some coin and I got ride of the stuff.

Thanks for the info guys.

If I try to sell it, what kind of value can I expect? I just checked and my scope sells for $300 new at Cabela's. It's in very good condition, no scratches, dings, all adjustments work fine, looks good, etc. What would be a reasonable used price for it? $200?

BTW, did scopes jump up in price? I thought my scope would have sold for $240 or so. Maybe I'm just getting old and remembering what things cost in the "olden" days.

Really? That cheap?

I might just hang onto it. If I have an extra scope, I'll have get another rifle. ;\)

Maybe I should shop around for this summer for a used scope. Why do they sell so cheap?