• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

First flattie of the year

crazyice

Went out to Pool 4 today looking for some 'eyes and sauger. Only managed one of those, but did get into some "other" fish. Consequently both were snagged. (Not on purpose!!)

@5 lb flathead

Flattie_2.jpg \

Not sure which species of Gar this is, but it was pretty cool none the less. And man do those things have some sharp azz scales! I had never caught one before, so I just grabbed ahold and it managed to cut me three times is a split second! I think I would rather lip a channel than handle a bigger one without gloves!

Gar_2.jpg

Don't think that thought didn't cross my mind! The thing came in like a log, pretty lethargic yet, but the water temps are getting ever so warmer. We had consistent temps of 41-43 degrees.

Saw some dandies caught on Pool 4 this past weekend and two weekends ago. Those little saugers have no idea how lucky they are that flatties aren't very active in the cold water. I have a cool pic of a gar I'll try to post - I got a nice set of tooth marks on my hand also!

I got my first cat on saturday down at pool 4 it was about a 10lb chanel cat that was fun cause I was fishing with bottom bouncer to plain hook with a fathead, the snell was 4 pound test so I got to play it for a bit and man was that fish solid muscle.

fun to catch! also saw big paddle fish caught was probly 30-50 lbs guy craddled it his arms for a pic and let it go.