• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bilge pump problems...

firfyter

At the end of last year I started having problems with my bilge pump blowing fuses. I replaced 3 fuses, and they would all work for a while, but after very little or no use they would blow. I have a 2003 1750 Fishhawk. Does anybody have a clue where I should start with troubleshooting this? Or is this one of those things you just pay someone to fix? Thanks in advance.

Pull it out and clean it like somebody else said if there is no garbage in it just replace it i don't think a new one will cost you any more than $30. I replaced one a few years ago for about $20 you can pick them up at any place that sells boating stuff almost all boats use the same one just get one that is rated the same.

Another little trick is to see if the top is bulged out at all. it should be flat. If it is bulged out at all, it was left on for extended periods, without being in the water) and it overheated. Nothing to do but replace it. Simple and cheap. All you need is a screwdriver and a couple of solderless butt connectors.

Typically you can rotate the bilge pump in it's base to remove it and take a look at the impeller. Cleaning that out, the housing (that's mouted to the boat) and any chunks in your bilge will help.

If after that you're still popping fuses time for a new one. They're not difficult to replace, more of a hassle to get at than anything else...

marine_man