• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Help for new dog

mrklean

I am looking into getting a new dog but not sure what i want to get. I will be doing some hunting with it, not a lot. I dont want to spend a arm and a leg on one, doesnt have to be a pure breed top of the line dog. I like labs and was leaning maybe towards a choc lab but not sure. Any help?

More pet than hunting? How about these.

You can look at a Lab, English Cocker, Golden, Brittany spaniel, Springer spaniel or anyone of the myriad crosses that are out there....

Good Luck in your search!

Ken

This is a huge open ended question and will get answers that will tell you "the dog I have is the best breed ever".

My advise, do some research on breeds with the american Kennel club, determine what fits in your life such as size of house/yard, temperment of breed, shedding, inside/outside dog, pointer/flusher, etc.

I cannot tell you what fits your lifestyle, you have to determine that on your own. And when prices become an issue, think it is a 10-15 year decision and vet bills will be way more then what you pay for the dog over its life.

Good luck!

If you want a pet first, maybe a mix would be a good choice. They tend to live longer than purebreds, would still retain some hunting qualities and sometimes they look pretty darn sweet.

You could also adopt one the many humane society dogs, provided they don't have major issues.

As far as labs go I would look at a Black, Yellow then a chocolate. As far as hunting potential. I get a subscription to a source called Retriever News. Strictly field trials and what have you but my point it a great majority of the dogs are BLACK some yellow and very few chocolates. They are all great companions and good with kids. I know atlest my 2 require a lot of excersize wich can be good for you as well. Price obviously can vary vastly. One dog I have I paid 1200$ for out of Candlewood Kennels. Awsome Pedigrees great outfit. Known nation wide for its output. The other only 500$ Not nearly the papers behind him but shows great potential. Spend what you can afford as it was said the vet bills will far outweight the purchase price!

Good Luck

I have always had Brittany Spaniels and they are great dogs. I have had them around my 3 daughters their whole lives and the kids were kids around the dogs and never even got a nip. They are very good in the field too. Great all around dog. Look up Ben's Britts, that is where my next one will be coming from.

Originally Posted By: gonefishin11
If you want a pet first, maybe a mix would be a good choice. They tend to live longer than purebreds,

I did not know that mixes live longer than purebreds. Is this a fact, or is it because people just guess at the age because they don't have any paperwork that says their birthday? I just want to know where you got that info from as I'd like to read it.

CW

Mixed breeds are often healthier because they are less likely to be inbred or overbred, as is a problem with many popular breeds. Responsible breeders breed against genetic diseases, but with popular breeds like labs, golden retrievers, etc there can be unscrupulous breeders more interested in money than the furtherance of healthy dogs. Its kind of like a black mouth in a dog. We never heard of it before we bought our Golden Retriever, but my uncle, who is a vet, checked it the first time he met her. When we asked him what that is, he merely replied that black mouth dogs are better. Who knows, we did do a lot of research into the pedigree, bloodlines, and breeder, and met the dogs parents and relatives, but our dog is so good that I'll check for it next time i buy a dog.

Make sure it was born on a Tuesday while the moon was three days from being full. It also helps if it is the fourth pup welped. But I've had a few good dogs that were the first ones out, but the last puppy is always overweight when it turns 4.72 Y/O. And most important of all make sure when he walks he puts his left foot in front of his right and then puts his right foot in front of left, Never the other way around. Oh, by the way mutts live for ever.

CW

Originally Posted By: cw642
Make sure it was born on a Tuesday while the moon was three days from being full. It also helps if it is the fourth pup welped. But I've had a few good dogs that were the first ones out, but the last puppy is always overweight when it turns 4.72 Y/O. And most important of all make sure when he walks he puts his left foot in front of his right and then puts his right foot in front of left, Never the other way around. Oh, by the way mutts live for ever.

CW

YOUR WRONG! Studies show that Wednesday while the moon is five to six days from being full is better. I also disagree on the 4th pup, IMO 5th is your better option!

grin.gif

Originally Posted By: kentuck_ike
order of birth doesn't matter as long as they are raised by a cat.

One of the better litters out there right now!!! E-mail me for details.

981161_9c22a77f87_s.jpg

Here is another pic from another litter we are having:

q1x00221_9.jpg

grin.gif

Originally Posted By: mrklean
Haha you guys are scaring me with the vet bills. My dog from home we maybe bring to the vet once a year if that and shes 15 human years old.

All in all (and to actually contribute to the other info here!!).....buying the pup is the cheapest part of owning the dog. If you buy a dog for lets say $300, I would plan on spending at least that 1/2 that each year on regular checkups/vaccines (probably more...I forget what I pay each year...or don't want to remember!! crazy.gif ). Not to mention food, training supplies, collars, bones, dog dishes, medications (if needed), etc.

If you run into any major problems.....it can cost MUCH more.

Not to scare you off.....but you need to be well aware of the costs in owning a dog. I can't say I know anyone that gets by with one trip to the vet each year!

I can tell you.....I finally had my cheapest vet bill ever 1 month ago. I got out of the office for $50!! First time ever, and I have been there at least a good 20 times. My dog has had some issues though.

Originally Posted By: mrklean
I was thinking maybe a pointer? What do you guys think?

I would do it!

J/k

Do you know what goes into raising a pointer?

You really need to offer more info here...what exactly do you want? A house dog that is mellow in the house and doesn't require much exercise. A dog that is possibly more high strung and requires a lot of exercise. Short hair that sheds less...maybe it does not matter. Are you hunting racoons, rabits, ducks, or Blue Jays? Do you want a large dog....or a smaller one. Do you have kids.....maybe you don't don't want a Chesapeake Bay Retriever (not starting something here CBR guys) unless you strictly hunt ducks (generalizing again).

Your asking to loaded of question. Break down exactly what your looking for....but really any of the dogs Labs4me mentioned would work.

Originally Posted By: kentuck_ike
thats too funny, do the pups use a litter box? That could really help in house breaking. \:D

For sure! Here is a pic from a pair of pups we sold a year ago. They are fully "litter box trained" per say when they leave to their new homes. The cats do a great job in helping our operation!

DickMyrnalitterbox.jpg

BTW....I was REALLY bored at work today..if you can't tell......and I don't breed animals! \:\/