• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sax-Zim Bog II

Steve and I took a wander down to the Sax-Zim bog today. Interesting day. I got photos of three birds that I didn't have, two of them birds I've never seen before. Day was cool, windy and at times the sun was a bugger to deal with. All in all, another successful day. Thanks, Steve - enjoyed it!

Morning Downy

SZ1.jpg

My one "big game" shot of the day

SZ2.jpg

Messin' with Sasquatch

SZ3.jpg

New bird - first photo - black backed woodpecker

SZ4.jpg

Can you spot the photographer in this image?

SZ5.jpg

Afternoon downy

SZ6.jpg

New bird - first photo - boreal chickadee

SZ7.jpg

Obligatory chickadee

SZ8.jpg

Redpoll

SZ9.jpg

First photo - white breasted nuthatch

SZ10.jpg

Great stuff, Ken.

Wish I would have gotten those good looks you got on some of the birdies, especially the black-backed woodpecker, but thems the breaks. grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

I hope these don't look as washed out as I fear. I tried a new Web toning regimen this time. We'll see . . . .

Bad hair day

badhair.jpg

The suet lover (time to photoshop out the suet holder.)

suetlover.jpg

Pretty boy

redpollprofile.jpg

I SEE you!

peek.jpg

The bogtrotter

kenbogtrotter.jpg

U-G-L-Y, you ain't got no aliby -- you UGLY! (full frame)

headon.jpg

Pretty gal in formal dress

hairygirl.jpg

Spotted

busted-3.jpg

blackie.jpg

Great shots, Steve! My boreal didn't turn out near as sharp as yours did. The black backed was the first one I took, and I wasn't sure I'd even gotten it. None of the others are keepers. Good day, buddy. Hope your feeling better!

It was a great day, Ken. Thanks for getting me off my sickbed and out of the darn house. I REALLY want March to end!

And I got not one, but TWO wedding photography bookings when I got home, as well as an e-mail wondering if I'll travel to New Mexico for a wedding (could be a crank, but you never know.) That makes it a great night, too. grin.gifgrin.gif

Nice work guys! There are just a bunch of really nice images in this group! Looks like a fun afternoon!

I guess I'll just be spending my next couple of afternoons shooting a little surfing out in SoCal at the Newport Beach Vans Pier Classic, maybe some evening birds at Bolsa Chica. More sunburn to add to my Florida sunburn! Want to trade? grin.gif\:Dgrin.gif

I'm providing that image to History Channel's "MonsterQuest" so they can do a follow-up in their next show. And, ah, one to the "Star" - they offered me BIG money! Something about "the Abominible Snowman's abominible predictions for the upcoming year!"grin.gifgrin.gif

Dan, we might be able to work a trade, if I can get my pilot's license by this afternoon!

MM - The Bog is so many different things, a photo or two wouldn't tell you the whole story. Some is just as you'd imagine a bog - wet leatherleaf and a little low scrub. Other, black spruce swamp. A bit is high ground popple with little farms and fields dotting it. Guess all that variety is why you see so many different species!

I was just going thru these photos again and Ken, you mentioned a first for the WB nuthatch? That realy seems strange. That is one of 3 birds I can be guaranteed to see, around these parts. The other 2 are the downy and the black cap, of course.

X - I've seen white breasteds a lot, but this is the first one that sat still enough while I had a camera in my hand to get a photo.

The two new ones I'd never seen before were the black backed woodpecker and the boreal chickadee. My buddy Tom and I were looking for boreals all the way to Hudson Bay and never saw one.