• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trail/Ditch Closings & Restrictions

Dave

DNR NEWS HEADLINES - March 25

1. DNR urges OHV users to check trail conditions; restrictions placed on ditch riding

2. Roads and trails in six state forests to be closed during spring thaw

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/news/index.html

1. DNR urges OHV users to check trail conditions; restrictions placed on ditch riding (March 25, 2008)

Warm weather is on the way and many off-highway vehicle (OHV) riders are anxious to hit the trails. But since state forest roads and trails are typically wet during the spring, the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (DNR) will temporarily close some areas.

"Motor vehicles can be hard on forest roads and trails in the spring," said Keith Simar, DNR State Forest Recreation Program coordinator. "The spring thaw produces soft soils which are susceptible to rutting. And under state law, no one can operate a motor vehicle or snowmobile on forest lands in a way that causes erosion or rutting," he said. The DNR will post signs at entry points and at parking lots in state forests.

Riders should check current trail/road conditions on the DNR Web site http://www.findthetrails.com or call the DNR Information Center at (651) 296-6157, or toll free at 1-888-MINNDNR (646-6367).

The DNR also reminds riders that state law prohibits ditch riding south of the agriculture line between April 1 and Aug. 1. The agriculture line runs roughly from Moorhead to Taylors Falls along Highway 10 and Highway 95. The purpose of this is to minimize disturbance of nesting birds and to protect the cover that ditches provide.

"We will lift road and trail closures as soon as possible," Simar said. "In turn, we ask users to check before riding and to ride responsibly."

2. Roads and trails in six state forests to be closed during spring thaw (March 25, 2008)

The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (DNR) will temporarily close

all forest roads and trails to motorized traffic in Paul Bunyan, Two Inlets, Smoky Hills, Badoura, Huntersville and Lyons state forests during the spring thaw.

"Every spring these areas are closed to motorized vehicle use for a short period of time to protect the roads and trails from damage while the frost leaves the ground," said Terry Novak, DNR program forester. "We are watching the road conditions daily and anticipate the closures sometime around March 26."

Closed roads and trails will be marked with pink "Roads and Trails Closed" signs.

According to Novak, riders have been very cooperative in the past. As a result, road maintenance costs have been considerably reduced through the years.

"We apologize for any inconvenience," said Novak. "We will be checking the roads and trails often and will re-open them after the frost is gone and they have had a chance to dry sufficiently."

A very limited number of motorized road use passes are available to land owners and spring trappers. Individuals must apply in person at the Park Rapids Area Forestry Office, 607 1st St West.

All roads and trails remain open to foot traffic. For more information, contact Park Rapids Area Forestry at (218) 732-3309.

Thank you for your support of ATVing in Minnesota

This is a good reminder for all of us to keep our sport looking good to the people and groups who want to shut us down here in MN. When the weather gets warmer, it sure is tempting to hit the standing water in the ditches. grin.gif

This is a good reminder. I hate to see the ditches all ripped up in the spring, it actually looks alot wrose than it really is. And when the grass grows up it hides the mud and ruts. But people driving by dont know it works like that.

Could anyone tell me what the typical time frame is for trail closures after the spring thaw? i know an exact date is impossible to guess, but I'm just wondering to try and plan some vacatoin time to do some riding.

I would guess May or June, but knowing the MN waterways division, the only real safe bet is when it freezes again next winter. \:\)

This is the dryest spring I have seen that I recall. The ditches around my house are normally full when it thaws and the frost is still in. This year they are dry. This slow warm up is helping alot I think. The water evaporates as the snow melts. Last year it melted so fast and had nowhere to go. We'll have to see how wet weather wise the spring is.