• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Muzzleloader Scope??

J Boo

I am looking at purchasing a TC omega and want to put a scope on it. I know nikon makes an omega scope but its made to shoot 150gr of powder and it sounds like most people only shoot 100grs so I don't know if that will work. Would a fixed power be better than an adjustable? What does everyone use???

Also, has anybody ever used the quick detach scope mounts? I would like to use it for shotgun and muzzleloader seasons without having to re-sight it in.

I use the Nikon Omega with my Pro Hunter but I got 150 grains of powder with a 250 TC Shockwave. I haven't shot it at a deer yet with the drops because I got a new toy right before season but this year I plan on using it.

I have and Omega on my TC Blk D and shoot 150 grains, 250 hornday SST's. I would just go to the range and shoot 150 and 100 grains and see how it shoots. Question, is there a reason you only want to shoot 100 grains?

Ok, so you guys are hunting outside of MN for ML season? As scopes aren't allowed unless you have a doctor's note that your eyesight is damaged.

That said, in WI they allow 1x (no mag) scopes and the Nikon BuckMaster is a good choice. For during regular firearms season, I like to use a Leupold 1-4x on it as I usually don't shoot over 100 yards anyway. When I'm in thick cover, I usually dial back to the 1X and when in more open cover like a field or cut edge, I'll ramp up the power. I do use Leupold's Quick Release (QR)mounts ( they have two models QR and QRW, I have no experience with the QRW) and I have had very nice results. Sight-in, then remove scope and then put it back and the POI has not noticeably changed.

Here's my 2cents worth,I've been muzzleloading for deer before the inline was ever invented and never shot over 50 grains of powder.If your shot is within 100 yards you will be more than happy with 50gr.No bloodshot around the holes and never had a hard time finding a chest shot deer.If you plan on going west and plan on shooting 250 yards,then maybe load 150gr.but I don't want to be the one sighting in that one.I started out years ago with a traditional cap lock gun and graduated a few years ago to a inline knight,I still shoot 50gr of powder with a round ball.Everyones situation is going to be different but here in Wis during Muzzeloading season its o magnification so 100 yards is far enough.I use a burris red dot scope.Hope this helps

Yes I shot much lower than 150 grains also when I was shooting a cap gun. But since going to and in-line I have just always shot 150 grains. Could I get by with 100 grains? maybe. But why change what has always worked? Of all the deer I have shot I have never had to track a shingle one as they have not taken a step. As for recoil, it has never been a problem for me. I have been shooting guns (big and small calibers) for over 30 years and have never flinched once. I know this is a problem for some people but has never been one for me.

I don't shoot 150 when I'm shooting open sights but I will shoot 150 when I put the Nikon Omega scope on it this fall for the regular gun season (that's the plan anyway is to upgrade to that scope from my current Nikon Pro-staff). I will shoot 150 because that's what the scope's BDC reticle is calibrated for.

I for some reason shoot 130 with open sights (50x2 and 30x1), although when that box of 30 grain Triple 7 pellets is gone, I'm going to just go with 100 and not buy anymore of the 30's. Of course I suppose I could drop down to 80 too, hadn't thought about that.

I have Talley Manufacturing quick release base/rings. Talley is not a mass producing company, they build solid machined stuff and its very good. No worries on there stuff moving or coming loose ever. You can order direct from there if you do a search for their HSOforum. Much better quality than leupold's or any other mass produced brand in my opinion.

Thanks guys. From what I have read before, I didn't think that many people shot 150grs. I am new to the muzzleloading world.

Anybody with the omega scope, have you ever tried it with anything but 150grs? I don't want to buy a scope that is made for one specific load (150gr powder & 250gr bullet) if I can't get it to group out of my gun. Has anybody had any trouble with this?

Originally Posted By: matt462
Lawdog, why are you upgrading scopes? I am planning on putting a scope on my Omega and can't decide between the ProStaff and the Omega.

I just want to try the Omega with the BDC reticle. I'll put the pro-staff on my .223 and upgrade that scope a little...

Nikon makes good optics, I haven't had trouble with any of their scopes. If not for wanting to try the BDC I wouldn't have a problem with keeping the pro-staff, its a very good scope for the low cost...

lawdog, I have the TC Omega/Nikon Omega setup. I shoot 100gr trip.7 w/250gr Hornady SSTML's and from the bench the BDC is dead nuts on. If your ML is a magnum you can back the 250gr SST's with 150gr trip.7.

They say the BDC is set up for a 250gr bullet and 150gr trip 7 but 100gr trip 7 works great for me.

Dan