• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Honda Accord Starting Problems

I have a '90 Honda Accord EX Coupe and it's been having issues with starting when it gets warm out. All winter long it'll start like a champ, but as soon as summer approaches and it nears the 80° mark it won't start. All it does is crank over like it's not getting any gas or spark. It doesn't seem to flood out, so I'm leaning (pun intended) towards the lack of fuel. It'll do this almost all summer. I crank it over a handful of times and then all of a sudden I'll hit the key to try again and it starts like there was no problem whatsoever. No stumbling or rough idle. It'll run fine and if I immediately turn it off and start it up it'll fire right off. Only seems to happen after sitting for a while in the heat. Anyone have something similar happen or have an idea of what it may be? Thanks!

PGM-FI relay!

This is a classic case of what happens when the solder joints in this relay fail. The relay is actually two relays in one package one controls power to the coil and the other controls power to the fuel pump. The relay is typically located under the dash on the left side of the car. Once removed you can pop it apart to inspect the solder joints. If you see a round circle in any of the joints you found your problem. These can either be re soldered if your handy with a soldering iron or replaced with a new part, which are not to terribly expensive from the dealer.

I think I have one in the tool box if I do I'll take a close-up of the crack joint that I am talking about.

Sweet. I'll take a look for this. I was searching through my manual to try to find some of these things but didn't have much success. I've been told it could be a cam position sensor which is on the distributor and is pretty spendy. The other was the fuel pump relay but wasn't sure where it was located. I've always had my suspicions that it was a fuel relay of some sort, but never knew where it was located on this thing.

Is it on the firewall under the dash or ???? Anything that makes it stand out so I know what to look for?

Thanks!

I googled PGM-FI and found a bunch of info and pictures. I also read about the hot weather starting issues on those sites, so it looks like we're on the right track now!

this might sound weird, but I used to have a similar problem with my honda's. What I used to do was to open the gas cap, and there would be a release of air ( or influx of air) and once I put the cas cap back on, the car would start. THIS WORKED EVERY TIME.........I actually had a guy at home depot call me a retard for suggesting to him to try it, after watching him grind the starter for a few more minutes, he got out of his car, took off the gas cap, he heard the air sound, got back in the car and it started right up. he got the [PoorWordUsage] look on his face and then drove off, never apologized for calling me that name either

I tried that too but it didn't help. This is electrical and I think Airjer hit on the problem. When I get the notion I'll dig into it further and find out for sure. It sounds like a bugger to get at under the dash.

You are most likely correct going with a main relay. They are a bugger to get at, they are located right above where your left foot is when driving under the dash. If you have cruise you must remove the cruise module and it is right above that. The housing is gray and approx. 1" x 2" held up by one 10mm headed bolt. I normally don't remove the bolt just pop the relay out of the case and pop the new one in. I also have had some luck at repairing these in my own vehicles if your handy with a soldering iron you can give that a shot. When you pull the relay out of the case on the top you will see the solder joints most likely two are cracked but have seen up to four.

Any other questions I will try to help.

Yep, I have cruise. I might try working on it this weekend to determine what I'm up against. I'll whip out the soldering iron and see if I find the bad solder joints, if there are any. Thanks.

I suppose I wouldn't be so lucky that they are available at a local parts store? The nearest Honda dealer is in St. Cloud. Gotta love the foreign cars. mad.gif

We are talking about the PGM-FI Main relay not the ECU. Very different parts. One controls everything the other controls a few. The one that controls few is what we are talking about.

Grrrr...Just out over the lunch hour and it wouldn't start for a while before finally taking off. The sun is shining but it's not really that warm out. I suppose the interior is warm, but geez. Looks like I'll be dragging it into my garage sooner than I had wanted!!

I just checked our NAPA and they do list and have one in stock. If there is one in your area it may be worth a shot to give them a call. They may have to order one from the wharehouse. It listed for about $90, actual cost is usually less.