• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

96 jeep grand cherokee?

when cold starts good and idles fine. once driven it will just die and won't restart until you let it sit for a while. it will die anywhere from 3 minutes after driving to 15 minutes but always dies and can't restart for a while. i'm thinking ignition because when trying to start after it dies it won't even act like it wants to start.any thoughts? it has the v8 do these have any known ignition problems?

Does it stall just the one time or does the stalling happen over and over again?

My first thought is the cranks sensor, if the stalling occurs over and over. If it stalls one time and then is fine for the rest of the day I would have to think about that for a little bit.

after it statred to do this 2 weeks ago they didn't dare take it anywhere so i do not know how it acts after the initial stall. my dad only drives about 1.5 miles to work and sometimes it makes it there and other times it does not. seems to be stalling more times than not when driven this distance. how difficult is it to replace the crank sensor? also if i can't get back down to my parents and they have to bring it in what should they expect to pay at a shop?

thanks for the info

steve

When it stalls is the vehicle driving down the road, or sitting at stop sign, or on a decel? When it doesnt start, try pushing the gas pedal down just a little. These were comon for stalling do to a bad idle air control motor (iac) also check and see what color the iac is, if it is black it has been updated, just try cleaning it. If it is silver replace and retest.

I would check the idle control motor, if it is a black one then try cleaning it out with brake cleam or carb spray, also clean the throttle body, disconnect battery for 10 minutes. If it is a silver one replace it, clean the throttle body, and disconnect the battery for 10 minutes to clear keep alive memmory, redrive it.

You would have to check and see if it is getting spark after it is dead, but I would lean to a ignition coil. They can be kind of fussy and do weird things. I think that one has an old school coil in it and would be cheap and easy to replace.

The next question would be, is there a check engine light coming on? I don't know where you live but many auto parts stores (o'reilly, csk, autozone) rent out code readers. They don't always tell you exactly whats wrong but give you a place to start looking if there is a check engine light on.

I like the IAC/minimum air theory! Like 4 said try cracking the throttle after it stalls and you can't get it started. If the IAC is stuck closed (I have had to litterally pry the pintles out of the bores on some of the dodge trucks) it won't idle. If it does start and stays running while you hold the throttle open and stalls when you let off the throttle I would say your on the right track.

Ya Airjer, good call dude.

More I think about it, a dirty t-body would not cause an issue with a no-restart condition. At least from what I have dealt with. Throw the fuel pump (vapor lock) idea out the window this time of year and what’s left. The infamous Chrysler/Jeep crank sensor.