• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Which Ice shack to buy???????

aquafang

I have used a viking(copy of the shappel) ice shack for 3 years now and it really worked for me. Being all pumped up to go ice fishing this past week I pulled it out of the shed to find that the mice at it!! so, I don't really want to spend much more than $200 or $300 max. I really like the mobile flip over type. So far price being a big factor, I am leaning towards a shappel At least I know what I am getting. any suggestions on flip-type shacks. ???

aquafang - I have a fishtrap pro and love it. Unfortunately I suffered the same thing with a mice attack they shredded some nice holes in my Shappel 4000. Patched it up with duct tape and sold it to a charter guide friend of mine for $150. Never leave your unit in a detached garage in the off season. It's a pain, but all my units end up inside and in the basement at the end of the season. That was an expensive lesson I learned.

I would check out the nordic two man by polar
great shak for the money. bought one this year and feel this is the best shak for the money.Can also be used for spearing for it is dark in side.Not bashing this house. Look at the Eskimo qf 3 and did not care for the nylon vs canvas.and the pivot points on each side is really to high.and no wear protection But it was a real tought call for the money.
I feel I went with the right choice for 399.00 with seats and auger holder.

jimBo

[This message has been edited by jimBo (edited 11-28-2003).]

I have to agree on the Frabill they have the best shell on the market.
as for mice?
regular bounce sheets during storage,store off the ground or buy an elctronic rodent repeller
All have worked for me but the electronic works best and protects the entire garage just make sure to get them for the house also, as they like to go from one Bldg. from another.

------------------
I don't drive fast, I fly low.

For what its worth. I have never fished out of a shelter. But I spent an hour at Cabelas today comparing the Frabill XLTwin and the Fish Trap Voyager. I agree with the others that the Frabill has a better shell (really like the black color for warmth too). But liked the seats in the Voyager better as I have long legs and want the seat farther back. I went with the Voyager.

Good Luck, they are both awesome.

[This message has been edited by AJPeacock (edited 11-28-2003).]

The flip over seld types can't be beat for the on the go fisherman.In my opinion Otter has the best sled and you can depend on it for years of service.Plus you can get hyfax runners that will make it last that much longer.The shell should last for quite a few years also.Good thick canvas that will cut the wind,and zippers that are high quality.The shell attaches to the sled easily and tightly with snap on plastic channel and seals out the wind very good.You also have a few options when it comes to seating.I went with the bench seat(good for taking a knap when the fishing is tough smile.gif)
http://www.otter.com/icehouse.html

LinkPhoto?GUID=274d366c-3ef3-7aa7-3abb-1

Eskimo has come a long way and is another option when the pocket book is thin.THey improved the canvas and will cut the wind better than their previous models.
http://www.ardisam.com/Eskimo/shelterAccess.htm

LinkPhoto?GUID=52a9c8d1-6d0a-7116-374f-7
------------------
Minnesota River Guided Fishing
www.mnriverguidedfishing.com
NPAA #863

[This message has been edited by Dennis Steele (edited 11-28-2003).]

check out the new Quickset portable if you plan moving around the lake or staying in one spot i think this is ticket its a fast setup they are new to the fish house market this year.its a well built house and the quility is their i'm sure they will be around for a long time.

http://www.soderbloom.com/quickset.html

[This message has been edited by Dennis Steele (edited 11-28-2003).]