• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Last Week of June Trip

I have most of my trip planned, I need something to fill a day in the Seward area. I am fishing one day, taking a cruise one day, and going to exit glacier one day. Is there some good hiking around Seward, or north of Seward I should try? Or anything else someone can think of.

Thanks

There is a US Forest Service office in Seward and you can look at or get maps to many hiking trails in the area. If you want a good workout, hit to the top of Mount Marathon right in town. They run a race up and down that each 4th of July. There will be many trails you can hike within 20 miles of town.

Exit Glacier can entertain a hiker for most of a day. Most people just walk up to the end of the Glacier, but there are trails that go several miles up the ridge and above the Glacier.

Marathon Mountain is a good hike. You need to be in pretty good shape and have some good hiking boots or shoes. I'd also recommend a walking stick because you will encounter loose gravel. Trailhead is right across the street from the Seward Museum.

The Sea Life Center is worth a walk through.

First time we were in AK in '96 we were in Seward on the 4th of July. Got to see the runners (or what was left of them) after the marathon:) Pretty beat up...can't imagine running DOWN that hill!