• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

BWCA basecamp for fishing recommendations

Hey everyone,

I am thinking of doing a BWCA trip late this summer or early fall. I would really like to do about a 3 or 4 day trip, where I paddle in for a day (and out) but spend a couple days doing more of a basecamp/fishing style trip. A nice relaxing camping and fishing trip. I don't want to work too hard, but will to get to some great fishing.

Hopefully you all have some recommendations. Thanks for your input.

Hey Chode, really the possibilities are too numerous to mention. I can think of several - Lake One moving in to Insula is a pretty long day, but worth it. Little Indian Sioux up into Loon or Lac La Crois. Or you could take a tow up Moose Lake. If small lakes are more your style (they're mine) your options increase exponentially, & you're more likely to have peace & quiet, too.

If you don't have the Robert Beymer books, I'd highly recommend them as a place to start looking. The east & west editions have oodles of routes from easy to nigh impassable & everything in between, with plenty of info on wildlife, sights, fishing, etc.

Camping on Sawbill has been good to us. You can get to a couple smaller lakes(smoke,burnt)that you should be able to find some eaters. Sawbill is a little over 700 acres but it's a long lake and you can get out of the wind if yo have too.

The portages to the other lakes are short and easy portages and well worth it. good luck

Hey guys, gonna be going up to entry point 4 Crab Lake next week and probably heading towards Cummings. If anyone has fished this area and has any info I would appreciate it. Thanks.