• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Musky Nets

Frabill Big Kahuna, its like having a floating livewell. Plenty of room to get hooks out and plenty of room for the fish. We have had 50" fish in this with room to spare.We still use the older Power Catch as a spare.

Hi

There are a few main makes, Frabill, Beckman, Stowmaster, etc.

Things to look for are a good sized hoop and depth of bag, I have the Frabill Big Game, and I really like it, the Big Kahuna was just too big for my rig, but the Big Game is more than enough for me. If there's a fish that doesn't fit it, I'll jump in a wrestle it!

Overall, the nets on these are coated and/or knotless, far easier on the fish. The size advantage is both for landing the fish, but even more for using the net as a holding tank while unhooking/cutting hooks. Get it in the net, get your tools, camera ready etc. Do the "work" in the net with the fish in the water. Take her out, snap a pic or two, and back in the water. 20 seconds out of the water, have a plan in advance and execute it. I have a float stick to get a measure, but I'm not really concerned about length measures to the 1/2 inch. If you are or are doing tourneys, get a bump board and wet it down.

Yes, $120-$150+ on a net is a hit on the wallet, but a one time hit. SAme goes for the hook cutters. Case in point, the Mrs netted her first fish for me and said "That was easy"......

Some may ask about cradles....kind of a relic really. Do you want your face over the gunnel in rough water at night with a fish and a lure full of hooks that close to your face? Not me....

I did think about getting a cradle when I started out and received the same advices CJAC pointed out... so I dropped that idea... I chose Beckman because of the light weight... and I've gotten several recommendation on Beckman nets...

From what I know... Beckman is the lightest net and Stowmaster is the heaviest... with Frabill in the middle...

i have two i use the most. an old frabil for shore fishing and a powercatch for the boat. to me if a net has a 36'' - 40 '' hoop i'm fine. the net heavily rubber coated and if i stand in it and its at or above my hips it's a good net. got to be thick netting. that's my take.

I have the Beckman Magnum Musky. I really like the net. With a hoop diameter of 34 inches and an overall depth of 52 inches, there is just no way you can miss a fish when trying to net it! Also, like Chris said, they act as floting livewells. Take up a little more room in the boat, but I have found that if I stick it between the drivers seat and throttle controls, it works out great. If room in the boat is an issue, I would say to look at the Stow Master, as they fold up and take up alot of less space. Basically it more or less boils down to the Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge.......just a matter of personal preference. Buy what you like and what will suit your needs.

Stowmaster is the best Ive used for a few reasons #1 it's entirely made in USA and Canada to me thats very important.

#2 Quality.

#3 Space savings I hate fishing out of boats when the net covers the entire floor space, if your use to steppeng all over your net try a stowmaster, It was like when we got a color TV with a remote SO NICE

Just make sure you have a net sufficient enough to match what you're after...beyond that the best net is a WET net!!! Don't forget the other needed release tools too, like a long nose pliers, quality cutters, jaw spreader, hook pick or something similar, etc. Again, have a plan too.....

If you chase big pike, catfish, or sturgeon you'll want one of the above mentioned nets for sure!

Do they sell replacement coated nets if you already have the hoop? Or - are you just better off getting a new one. Not looking to be too much of a miser but I like the frame on mine, but the net isn't coated.

replacement coated nets- mills fleet farm, by frabil. some have coating. some don't. they even got the green mono ones \:D i got a 40'' replacement net there two years ago for my shorefishing net. holding up pretty good so far.

Thorne Brothers sells the replacement net bags too. They're not cheap, and if your handle and yoke system are dated it may be best just to bite the bullet and get a new set-up.

Definitely check it out first.

LOL. i live there in the winter and did'nt even know they were there. i gotta look around more. never know what i might find. they probably have the bigger thicker stuff than mills.

thanks cjac