• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

PLACE TO FISH?

ALL_IN

So here is a question to all the bass experts out there...

Given this situation, WHERE WOULD YOU GO??

Spring break is coming up at the end of March for me and I will have 10 days off. I was planning a trip out to Montana skiing, but I got the itch to go fishing instead, and I got more people that want to go fishing instead of skiing. SO, if I would pack up the boat and head somewhere, where would I head??

Thoughts on a southern place or lake that would have a good Bass bite. Maybe some peoples favorite places outside of MN.

Thoughts/Ideas??

ALL-IN

Texas. Lake Fork or Amistad are the first ones that come to mind. I have several friends that have made the trip and enjoyed it.

Fluker could tell you if there are any decent Missouri options that time of year. I know from personal experience that Table Rock Lake gets tough if the weather goes bad at the end of March.

That is like asking a kid what he wants for christmas. grin.gif I've been to a few lakes in the south and I'm actually leaving on Saturday for Lake of the Ozarks but if I had my choice of where to go the end of march I wouldn't stop until I got to Falcon in Texas. That's one of the hottest lakes in the country right now for big fish. Then Amistad in Texas,Clear and the Delta in California... I better quit

Dont forget about Fl, thats where im heading not for fishing(but im still going)and you got some good beaches to visit also. and hey,its only a 24 hour drive!

I love all the feed back... with out spending $9,000 on gas driving a truck and pulling a boat. Does a guy have bet on anything closer to MN, then Texas???

ALL-IN

You could try Pool 4 and/or Pepin on the Mississippi River but I dont know how well bass fishing down there this early in the year. they have alot of tournaments down there for Bass in the summer!

Yeah, it would be nice if you could plop down into Iowa or something for a good bite. You face the same problems that you would face fishing in Minnesota. The places that have the really big fish and good fishing year round are going to be the places that don't freeze over during the winter. The bass get big because they can eat year round without a dormant period.

You can travel a little less far and hit up some places in Arkansas. Fishing is pretty good down there.

Lake of the Ozarks has been the hottest lake in Missouri the past 4 years or so. Table Rock has been a close second, but Ray is right, it can be down right tough. Oz has a little more color in the water, so you can catch shallow fish if you have too.

Amistad and Falcon sound great. "ohhhh all the big fish, etc etc etc". But I've seen too many guys head down there and struggle because it's a whole different world when you compare it to what we fish up here. I would NOT go to Fork or Rayburn or similar lakes down there before I went to Lake Oz. Much heavier pressure down there, and I really feel like the only difference is your increased chance in catching an 10+, which is still just that, "a chance".

If it were me, I'd head to Lake of the Ozarks. Save a little gas $ and still catch some good fish. We were down there end of March last year. Had 19 1/2 lbs in first day of the tourney. Thought we were hot stuff and leading my small tourney that I run. Checked the results from the 4 largest $ tournies that weekend, we would have cut a check in ONE, and just barely. Took 24-26 lbs to win each and 20 1/2 to cash checks.

Oz offers a lot of different ways to fish, which is a big plus if you're making a long trip.

Lake of the Ozarks is one that I have always wanted to fish. Table Rock is a close second for me as well. I wont be able to fish these lakes for quite some time though. There is also some pretty good water in OK. Take a look at Tenkiller, could be a good multispecies lake this time of year. Whichever water you choose, remember to have fun, enjoy your time off, and take pictures to post up on FM.

Nelson Lake in North Dakota is within driving distance, it is a power plant lake and does not freeze all winter. Good bass, good crappie. Used to be a very good Big Fish lake. To many were taken home. Still a good chance at some 3-5 pound fish and not a 30 hour drive.

Originally Posted By: Bass N Spear
Plus, you know your going to stick a monster down there as well.

Spear, you fished Fork before? I'll agree that there are some monsters in there, but you definitely don't know for sure you're gonna catch a monster. I spent 3 1/2 days on the water there with 1 1/2 of those being with a guide. ZERO fish. That lakes gets more pressure than anywhere in the country.

100% agree. Probably harder and definitely longer to figure it out, but always possible. If you're taking a trip for 3 /4 days, you might not figure them out, and if you do, maybe not until you're about to come home.

I've just seen this happen too many times. "Lake Fork, the big bass capital of the world" Back in college before I went, I had been planning to make it down and just KNEW I was gonna catch atleast 1 monster. I mean it's Lake Fork, they're swimming everywhere right? I think that's the impression that a lot of folks have. I quickly learned it wasn't like shooting fish in a barrel. Granted, I was down there during some BAD conditions where no one was catching fish. I mean even guides were only seeing 1 to 2 fish a day, if ANY.

If one is planning to hire a guide, then yeah, that will probably speed up the learning curve. I just want to help prevent the same mistake I made which was having a certain impression, and that not really being the case when I got there. But you are right, now that I've been there once, I would hope I'd be able to figure them out the 2nd time. But one never knows, and that is a long haul and a lot of gas from here to take the chance. Cut that distance in half and you're able to get to some water jsut as good minus the elevated "chance" at catching a trophy.

The key to being able to catch fish be it here or down south is first to know seasonal patterns of bass and their forage and then to be able to read a map and put yourself in the best position possible at that time to catch fish. I was down on fork 3 years ago. I did a lot of preparation before we got there and we wacked em'. We didn't get anything over 6 but that is never a gaurntee. I wouldn't discourage anyone from going there if not for the fishing just to see the lake. We have nothing like that around here.

Sorry, I think I've made the wrong impression here. I know I've put enough words in to this post, but I want to make sure I'm not giving someone the wrong impression.

I would not deter anyone from going to Fork, or somewhere else for that matter. Matter of fact, if you haven't ever been to Fork, it's worth the trip atleast once for the experience.

What stemmed my later comments is what Spear said. "Plus, you know your going to stick a monster down there as well." I just don't want anyone to set any false expectations like I did. I agree with the comment about what is key. We were there in March at a time when big fish were the target, and not "many" fish. Unluckily for us, we found neither.

If a guy is just looking to go catch some good fish while we're frozen, it's possible to do that in half the distance.

Apologies for my intentions being out of whack. Hard to convey what you're trying to say via a message board some times.

Fluker (Probably now called the "Lake Fork hater" in addition to the "Ugly Monky Rod Maker") ha!