• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

trolling rods

mtreno

i am looking for something new to use for trolling rods. years before it was just whatever rod was close and toss the bait back and see what happens. last year i added line counters and started taking my trolling a bit more serious. last year i used a 9 ft heavy and a 9 ft extra heavy. one was not mine and the other will be used for pounders this year.

what do others use for trolling rods?

anyone ever try fiberglass or that eglass?

i have been on the lookout for something with alot of backbone but a fast tip. i like going with a longer rod because if i am out of state where more lines can be trolled it nice to have these outside a bit.

any thoughts?

b - do they have a blank made for trollin? i have plenty of thorns customs but i never asked about trollin. also i am trying to keep costs down right now which is partly why i was wondering if anyone new anything about eglass

ohhhhh, cost down. whyn't ya say so. cannon downrigger rods are a good inexpensive choice.yes, the same cannon that makes downriggers. the hibrid construction is just fine. 9 feet long. and built to be trolled. besides if you can't trust a company who's living is trolling who can you? i use mine for everything from longlining to inline sideplaners, to dipsey's. got a new downrigger this winter so i'll be using it for that this year along with another i will buy. i think it was like 50 to 60 bucks. and yes t-bros. has blanks for anything. got their custom st.croix hibrid for trolling my Wishmaster (i hadda have it man), was premade on the rack for 200.00. awsome rod. works good for pulling anything big, and i'll pull my custom ## 14's i make. but check out cannon. Joe's is where i got mine.

did a re-read on the first post. fast tip and trolling i think is an oxymoron if you need the rod to last. the abuse a rod takes when trolling( fish strikes , constant shakeing) makes a softer tip, slower action nessasary, but needs to do this without giving up any power or as you put it backbone. mabe even needs to add even more. cannon has a line check em out.

I picked up a few Shimano rods that were pretty darn cheap at Thorne Bros. 8'6" and a 9' if I recall correctly.

Like mentioned above, they do get abused, and are often used when it's nasty cold! I'm not trolling that much, so they did well for me. Depends on what you're dragging too... Light stuff, no boards, and I'll use the reg. rod and back the drag WAAAAYYYYYY down to not rip out hooks.

I would recommend Diawa Heartland rods in the 9'6" or 10'6" lengths. I use them for dipsy divers on Lake Superior and have always thought they would be good muskie trolling rods. Although I have yet to catch a muskie on them. These longer rods have more backbone than the shorter versions.