• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Solo fisherman going from aluminum to fiberglass.....

tigerbalm2424

I currently own a 98 1650 crestliner. Its not in perfect shape which in my opinion makes it easier to unload/load by myself and in most cases I will just run it up onto shore while I park the truck. 95% of the time I load/unload by myself. I am looking into upgrading next year to ranger bass boat(hopefully a comanche Z19) which will put me in the 19-20 foot length boat range. First, how difficult will this make it for me to load/unload by myself? Second, do I need to be more careful with a fiberglass when it comes to beaching it while loading/unloading? Any other things I should note when going from aluminum to fiberglass?

there is alot of different things that you can look at. For one, you are going to want to put a keel gaurd on the boat, so it saves the hull if you are beaching it, you are going to have a bunk trailer, so you are going to just drive the boat on the trailer, and not have to crank it at all. It will be very easy to load and unload.

You will love going to glass. Have any other questions, feel free to ask.

yes you can! one tip though . before loading , back the trailer into the water so all of the bunk gets wet. then if you need to crank the boat the last couple of inches you will have no problem.

The best thing for unloading a boat with a bunk trailer is a product that I believe is called an anchor reign (automatic retracting rope spool product)on the front of the boat. Tie a loop in the lead of the rope, loop it around your trailer winch handle, unhook all straps, back in and tap the brake. The boat floats off while the rope is coming out of the anchor reign, you pull forward enough to get the rope loop off the trailer without getting your feet wet and pull the boat to the dock. No tangled ropes or anything to catch on with this system. They cost about $50 if I remember right but well worth if for the solo unload process.

Most people can easily install one by just removing the bow area access plate and seeing where it fits in up there. drill a hole and tighten down a cleat style nut and you're done. Take the bow mount trolling motor into consideration when mounting.

ccarlson

ccarlson,

Do you (or anyone else) happen to have any pics of this set up?

I to launch/laod my 18' aluminum boat on a bunk style trailer alomost always by myself.

Your system sounds interesting to me. I am just not real clear on your despription.

Thanks!!!

once you go glass... you never go back... Good choice. BTW drive up said trailer with wet bunks as suggested and you will be good to go. Never had a launch sooooooooo easy. I don't even need to power load my rig if I can back it in to the right depth.

I have a rope I clip to my bow eye and also to the bed of my pickup. I back in, tap the brakes, and pull forward like you say. It works great as long as there's not a strong crosswind and there's a decent dock with room ..... gets a lot tougher in the wind, in crowds, or with no docks or bad docks.

Tigerbalm...I did last year what you are asking about doing next year. I had a 16' aluminum with roller trailer and went to a 17.5 glass with bunks. It's twice as easy with the glass/bunks. As mentioned earlier, the biggest change was determining the bunk depth. After that, the bunks are 10 times more forgiving than the rollers. Plus, not to start arguments, but I don't think you have to "powerload" as much with bunks.

A final note: I think it launches easier. The boat seems to "stay" in the bunks easier. With the rollers, the boat often seemed to roll pretty far into the water while I was still in the truck. (Maybe I'm just too slow.) Also, and I launch alone (or with help of a kid) almost all the time. Really, it's so much easier. You'll be amazed.

I went from a 17.5 alum to a 18.5 glass last year. 75% of the time I am by myslef. After using bunks vs. rollers I would much rather load on bunks. I agree with herm you don't have to powerload as much as you think. Basically if you can float it off you can usually float it nearly all the way back on. However, this depends on the pitch of the access and your specific boat.

IMO if you switch to bunks and you have a good access that you use you will be happy with the switch.

I've had them on my past two boats but I am still rigging up my new boat and don't have one on it yet to take a picture of. I need to still purchase one. I have gotten them at ca belas in the past and the product is called an anchor reign. I'm not sure if that is how you spell the kind of "reign" they use though. I couldn't find it on a web search. Basically it is a retracting spool of rope that has a spool that goes undercover in the bow and a cleat with a rope tip that is all that shows above the surface. The rope is about 30-50 feet I suppose. Not only makes unloading a bunk boat a snap but also makes it convenient when you need a quick rope to tie up at a dock. Too small of rope to use as an anchor rope though even though that is what the name implies.

Anyone else know of this product that can show us a pic? I know Wentworth rigged them on many boats over the years.

ccarlson

Originally Posted By: ccarlson
I'm not sure if that is how you spell the kind of "reign" they use though. I couldn't find it on a web search

You are referring to the Anchor Rein from Attwood. Google it and you'll get several links.

I'm not sure what I think about this product. I've never seen one on a boat. It does seems like a neat way to store a rope, on the other hand I'm not sure I'm sold on the idea??????

Hey that is it! I knew I had the spelling wrong or something. These things are great for the unloading process but like I said, I don't know if I would use it for an anchor rope as it is a little light duty of a rope for when I anchor which is usually in a good wind.

I see the price is up to $65 though. I also see there is an anchor rein II but I didn't look it over yet.

I still plan to put one on my new boat for solo unloading.

ccarlson

interesting. I looked it up and it is originally designed for hooking up to your anchor. This use does not interest me at all because it used a 3/16 rope. OUCH! But using it as a docking tool? very interesting. I to would like to see this in action sometime.

In my experience, bunks are the only way to go. I watched way to many guys struggle at the landing loading there boats. We have all seen the guys that have the boat in gear while trying to load it, they go up and hook it up then back to the controls. I fish 98% of the time by myself, I run a big glass boat I'm in and out of a landing in less than 3 minutes. Just be carefull when you powerload to not get too shallow. Good luck.