• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Okuma reels?

Rainman

I have an Okuma linecounter reel that I use for downrigging and long line trolling crankbaits. I like it a lot. It's been very dependable and I've had it for seven or eight years. The baitshop guy here in Detroit Lakes recommends them.

I have an Okuma spinning reel that is great. I think Mr. Special bought one of their cheaper baitcast reels last year and it ended up as a back-up reel. It did the job but was nothing special. I have no experience with their more expensive baitcasters.

I have one Okuma baitcaster that serves as a backup for me. It is a lower priced model that was meant more for buddies to use when fishing with me. I haven't had any trouble with it, but wouldn't trade in my Penn for one...

Okuma has some nice line counter reels, for around $60 you can pick up a Magda 20 or 30, lots of line capacity.

From there it's the Induron 400, a newer muskie reel that becoming quite popular. It's along the lines of the Sminano 400s like the Calcuttas and Cardiffs. The power handle is regarded as one of the best around. $120 will get you on one with the power handle. It has "clicker" too!

Top end is the Red Isis, at around $160, as souped up Induron basically. Haven't used one, but probably a bit more than whats needed for cattin'.

Can't remember the model. But it's about the size of a 7000. It works fine, the drag is good, casts ok, but like RW said I only use it was a backup or for a buddy. Not bad option for an ecomonical reel.

I got an economical Okuma as well. They make great trolling reels : | . It's my backup as well and I pair it with my shorter heavier rod. It's for when I don't need precise casting and I am tight against heavy cover.