• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

new skeeter

knoppers

I am trying to figure what I want in my new boat. they have a standard 200hp hpdi called the z200, but yamaha came out with the vmax series 2 this year. whats the difference, and is it worth the extra money to get the series 2?

It looks to me like there's quite a bit of difference, comparing the specs.

It apppears that the HPDI V Max is based on a larger block - 204 cid vs 154 cid on the regular HPDI.

The max rpm limit is higher - 6k vs 5.5k on the regular hpdi, the alternator out put is 5 amps higher on the vmax, per the specs page, the regular hpdi is only available in a 25" transom vs 20" on the vmax, and one other big difference is 3 years of warranty on the vmax and 2 years on the straight HPDI.

There's no replacement for displacement in my book.

marine_man

Very nice rig. You will love the power you get out of that Yamaha. I have several friends who either have that motor (200) or had it and they all loved it. I think Cheffrey has that 200 motor. I see a lot of the 225's or 250's around here.

I like my Vmax HPDI. Runs awsome, start every time. Most people I know recommend yamaha Vmax's. Only thing I don't like as much is during idle the motor shakes more than others. It's due to the motor idling on 4 cylinder instead of 6 so you get this kinda skip/sputter gap. It's like pulling 2 plug wires off a V6 motor. But as soon as the rpm climbs to 1500 or higher, smoother as silk.

I have the ZX2050 skeeter with the hpdi 250, your gonna love that 1880. the V is almost exclusively a bass boat application unless you go to some sort of jackplate I suppose. The year after I bought mine the pushed the rating limit on the 2050 to 300 horses. I looked at the spec's and it seems they acheive this with fuel and air more than displacement. you can always get more horses out of your motor if your willing to modify. In the Walleye and Bass Boat mag they show how to punch my 250 up to 318 horses for 2500$ - 60 mph is enough for me. see ya on the water.