• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Staying in fish house over night

GRAND DAD

Hunting,

You might want to check with the DNR. The regulation says "placed on the ice and used". Not real clear as to what they mean, that is why I suggest you check just to be safe.

This is from the fishing regs booklet:

"Note: After the date when dark houses, fish houses or shelters must be removed, shelters may be placed on the ice and used from one hour before sunrise to midnight."

i dont think it would be a great idea to set it up and leave.i dont think the dnr would like that.thats why they tell us to take our houses off certain time of yr.but you could check on it tho.

Depending on how long you are leaving it out and what type of house, i'd say you will be fine to set it up in the morning and left your pops go out there at some point. Its not like it will be unoccupied for very long...

Came across (2) CO's today as I was found the only one on two lakes and I asked them both your question.

ANY HOUSE must be occupied if you are in a zone where the removal date has expired. For me in SE Mn that was Feb, 29.

So unless you are above the northern line you must be in the house even during the day hours.

They said they would be "reasonable" about going in to the resort on the lake I'm on daily to use the biff, but would not suggest taken the chance as habit.

My morning fish and afternoon fish now must become one time out.

You can not set up, leave and come back even to pull it by midnight !!

The great ice conditions we still have make it seem somewhat stupid but having 25" plus average this time of year and still holding (or making) is not normal for this part of the state.

I told both CO's get use to seeing me out daily for a couple weeks yet unless the accesses deteriorate drastically to where I can't get on. That ice will need to lose almost half it's current depth before I call it quits !!

I'm amazed that on two different lakes I was the only one out.

Maybe everyone is fished out, but if you have a wheel house this extended couple weeks of great ice is what the mobility of such houses is all about !!

ICE FISHED OUT! NOT ME!!!!

Thanks for the clarification Ice_It. I do have an email into the DNR asking the exact question. Guessing I will get the same response as what you posted...

Additionally, I plan on contacting my local CO, asking him if I could do this...and hope he will let me 'slide' just this once. Just so my pops can have a day to himself on the lake fishing. Doesn't hurt to ask...

Knowing ahead of time your circumstances and efforts to contact them I would think could warrant an exception.

Certainly will not speak for them but cant see a issue if the CO would stumble across your house unattended with all it's info already in hand.

When I finished typing my post, I looked up and called the CO responsible for the area I wanted my house on. . I had to leave a message but within the hour, he returned my phone call. I explained my situation to him again. He then proceeded to ask me a couple questions...I told him a ball park time frame when it would be unoccupied, what lake, description of house, also told him my house was legally identifiable with all the necessary information. He rewarded my request and said go ahead with my action. He thanked me for calling him and checking with him first. I think this is why he gave me the exception

I'm sure he will....I know it is truly tough on him, that he can't enjoy his TRUE outdoor hobby of ice fishing. All due to his current health concerns. He used to spend many, many days & nights trolling the ice in search of crappies. So whatever effort I can give back to him to ensure he gets as much ice fishing in possible, I will do whatever it takes...My turn to give back to him, after all the years he's provided me with great ice fishing memories when I was a kid and young adult....I know I'm not the only one on this forum that hasn't' did the same for their pops!

I think most CO's and officers in general will bend on some of the rules if you just talk to them. If you explain you are doing it to help your Dad or a kid or something to that effect, I would believe they will let you do it and in your case it worked great. Nothing wrong with a little bend to help someone get outdoors.

Well, my pops had an absolutely great day out ice fishing...A few sunnies in the late morning, and the afternoon was really, really slow for him...But he said it was much better sitting in the fishhouse than being anyplace else. He was down to fishing with one line...I forgot to give him my extras and accidently left him 2 lines only. He was using my old school (spike on end) dead stick. Which is what he is most comfortable with and all he fishes with. The other rod, Guide Series Supreme rod/reel combo...He had to cut and re-tie it a couple times because he had it tangled up so bad, and ran out of line...LOL...It was funny when I walked into the house and noticed my rod laying across the pail. Once the early evening came, we got into the crappies. Pressure was on, and I wanted to produce some action. More line cutting for him that night...He just can't use a rod and reel combo! With all his sticks at home, he was going to go to Fleet Farm today, and buy, what he calls a Real Ice fishing rod that catches fish. He's decided to stay thru the weekend and we plan to spend most of the weekend hours on the lake! Like always, it will be a blast, weather we have fish in the bucket or not!

That's awesome. Glad you got him on some fish. My Dad has a hard time with the new ice fishing rigs as well and he didn't do much before on the ice so getting used to the lighter bites is different for him. Like you said, it's all about getting out on the ice with your Dad if you get any or not. Have fun with him this weekend, the time goes way too fast.

Glad to hear it all worked out.