• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Public access!!!!!!!!!

dairyman

Just came off a lake up here by detroit lakes through a public access------what a joke!!!!!! Nothing more then a cow path!!!!! You had to go up a hill--take a 90 degree turn at the top and then down a 45 degree hill to the lake-----needless to say I probably won't be going on that lake any more this winter---I did manage to get my limit of crappies----about average size.....

Probably why you got the crappies that you did because the average "guy" didn't want to be hasseled with the possibility of getting stuck or didn't see any activity and just moved on to the next lake to herd up with all the other cows..er, ah, houses. Keep in mind that some counties and municipalities don't have the money to move the snow and lake access is not high on the plowing priority. Glad you got some fish.

Tunrevir~

Originally Posted By: dairyman
Just came off a lake up here by detroit lakes through a public access------what a joke!!!!!! Nothing more then a cow path!!!!!

What do you expect? A plowed road like on red lake or Mille Lacs? Not all counties can afford to plow them and I really don't think its the county's responsibility too. Half the time its local citizens that are nice enough to plow a road and the access out but is if someone takes the time to do that. I guess I don't expect a plowed road to the lake and on the lake, thats what 4 wheel drive, 4 wheelers, snowmobiles, rangers, and your two legs that God gave ya are for!!!

Random story, but my buddy tries comming onto cedar lake near new prague. He thinks he can make it through a good 4 foot snowdrift with his dodge intrepid. Well surprise, surprise, he can't. Well after a good 15 minutes of diggin/pusshing, we come to the conclusion that w/o a truck, he isn't going anywere. So we call up another buddy with an F150. Tries to be a smart@ss and plow through the same drift. Well what do you know, he gets stuck. So I run back out to the fishouse to grap an extra shovel, and by the time I get back, a third buddy pulls into the access with his dads 2004 F350. Pulls the same stunt, and gets hung up in the same snowdrift. So we have 1 car and 2 big trucks in the same drift. So about this time, the swearing has stopped, and we all can't help but laugh at the situation. Just as we start catching our breath, a 1994 Chevy Silverado 1500 comes off the lake and yanks out the F350. Moral of the story: don't count on the county to plow out public accesses. grin.gif

Originally Posted By: cribbageboy
Random story, but my buddy tries comming onto cedar lake near new prague. He thinks he can make it through a good 4 foot snowdrift with his dodge intrepid. Well surprise, surprise, he can't. Well after a good 15 minutes of diggin/pusshing, we come to the conclusion that w/o a truck, he isn't going anywere. So we call up another buddy with an F150. Tries to be a smart@ss and plow through the same drift. Well what do you know, he gets stuck. So I run back out to the fishouse to grap an extra shovel, and by the time I get back, a third buddy pulls into the access with his dads 2004 F350. Pulls the same stunt, and gets hung up in the same snowdrift. So we have 1 car and 2 big trucks in the same drift. So about this time, the swearing has stopped, and we all can't help but laugh at the situation. Just as we start catching our breath, a 1994 Chevy Silverado 1500 comes off the lake and yanks out the F350. Moral of the story: don't count on the county to plow out public accesses. grin.gif

And don't count on a Ford to get you through a snowdrift \:\) .... I had to.

Yeah - I never expect an easy way out. Sometimes it takes a heck of a lot of work to clear a nice trail on the lake. The breaks and such that can happen right at shore are a real trick sometime. Dairyman if you don't like it, don't go to that lake.

Its not like the county or town is suppose to take its plow/salt truck down the access and plow that too. Next you might want some gravel put down on the lake so its not slippery.

Even though I agree with you that we shouldn't expect a plowed road but it sounds like you guys are being a little extra hard on dairyman. In fact we should be standing in line to thank those private drivers that do take the time. Naturally, they do it more for themselves but hey, we benefit from it and it wouldn't hurt to even offer a little financial support when we happen across one of 'em. They might be even more inclined to do more. It does add cost for them to push the snow.

If there are any of you that are reading, THANKS!!!

Bob

Originally Posted By: dairyman
I WASN'T COMPLAINING ABOUT NOT HAVING PLOWED ROADS TO THE LAKE--I CAN HANDLE THAT ---MY COMPLAINT WAS WITH THE ROAD ITSELF----UP A STEEP HILL AND AROUND A 90 DEGREE TURN AND THEN DOWN STEEP INCLINE

Bad road engineers gotta make a living too. ;\)

One thing that hasn't been taken into account is that it may have been the most reasonably priced piece of land for the DNR to buy and put an access in. There are a lot of complaints about fees and license costs and what not, but that is where they get the money to build an maintain the access. What you have is what you get. Having a rough access is almost certainly a good sign to the fishing that can be had.

Some of my best fishing in my life has come from accessing a lake that looked un-accessable. Some people will drive for miles to fish a lake where the "average" guy won't attempt to try. I would take that anyday before using a 4 lane plowed road where the geo metros can access.

CA