• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Anyone NOT drive on the ice?

blackdog1101

driving on the ice is a calculated risk (so is steping off a street corner)if you know what you are doing(check with local bait shop and check ice thickness your self) you will be fine 99 percent of the time for me i have a rule ford explorer 16 inch minimum.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SDwalleye - look for fresh ice...clear ice when there is snow everywhere else. Look for bay entrantces that may have water moving in and out.

You can't look for everything...thats why ice is never completely safe. Springs and such...

You have to always be careful for yourself on the ice...

I've heard upwords of 20 grand and like stated before this doesn't include the truck.

There is a daily fine for it being in the water, not to mention getting a crane or towtruck to the area may be difficult...

I drive on the ice but only when there is a well established trail and I know how thick the ice is. It's horrible though it freaks me out so bad. I really hate driving out there but you gotta get to the good spot, and I've walked my share of distances before as well. But last year we drove my truck across the lake we put our ice house on and broke trail it was so [PoorWordUsage] scary I thought we were going down for sure. Also last year on Gilbert Pit where the water is so low we were driving on the shore and slide off onto the ice and broke thru. We backed outta it but it was extremely scary. Ice sucks I need a wheeler.

i cant believe peoples' opinions about driving on the ice has actually gone on for 6 pages. nonetheless, you can do whatever you see fit. normally i know the lakes i fish, i dont just go out blind so i have no problem driving on with the truck. the only reason i do take my 4-wheeler ocaisionally is because i have one and it should be used for something. its a lot more mobile as well with the house strapped on the back.

if it Hits the Bait, it Hits the Plate!

the last couple weeks the ice on West Battle in the Fergus area was 32-36" (some of the thickest I've ever seen). Which is tough to make the case against driving on it, (granted you know the lake) and that there are no currents, hot spots, etc. However I agree with you overall, its not work taking chances, my heart was pounding quite heavily Dec. 12, when three of use walked out on Little Boy, near Leech Lake, on 4 inches of ice. It was even crazier when a C/O came out on his snowmobile to check our licenses . He quickly jumped on his sled and booked it out of there once we told him, and he could see the massive pool floating on top the ice. I don't have kids, but a terrible accident happens every year, which is why if it was feasible for me not to drive, I wouldn't.

Keep Safe.

Dan