• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Walleye jigging rod

jigeye

I just noticed my 6'6" Med Lt action Berkley Series One fishing rod is broke so I'm in the market for a new one. Any suggestions? I liked the Series One but question it's durability. It looks like the blank thickness is very thin. Looking to spend around 100 for the new one.

Thanks,

Jigeye

I am going tomorrow to buy a Shimano Crucial 7'2" for bobber fishing and perhaps a back up lindy rig rod. I have a 3 G. Loomis rods and 5 St. Croix, but my main jigging rod has always been a shimano because of the great sensitivity. I don't think you will be disappointed.

I have about a dozen Series Ones starting from the first generation till the new ones. Untill they make tehm like they used to I'll buy Croixs. My old one I just put on the rack last fall after 21 seasons. Rest just got repooled today. I would look at the Fenwick HMX or HMG ( little more than a C note) Technas or the new top end Fenwicks are hard to beat to.

For under $100 price range, the Shimano Compre is a very nice rod at ~$90. I like the cork cutaway so your finger is in direct contact with the rod blank. It is also life time warrentied, so if you break it they replace it with a new one.

If you want to spend a few more bucks ($120), the Fenwick HMG is a great rod for the price (also life time warrentied). They also have a free Columbia rain jacket promotion going as an extra bonus ($69 value).

These two are my primary walleye jigging rods. The HMG has a little more back bone.

I like St. Croix's! The extra money is worth it in my opinion. Fenwick's are nice, don't get me wrong. I just like the feel of a St. Croix as opposed to a Fenwick in a medium to heavy action jig rod.

UncleKes, The Fenwick/Compre's are ML - but for jigging on the river I actually prefer my St. Croix Avid 6-8 Medium. Great rod agreed, but a bit more spendy. I think I paid ~$170.

I use the Limit Creek LCS69MLF ( 6' 9" medium light fast action)on all my guide trips and tournaments. A great rod for jigging and rigging, only 89.99 plus over the counter warranty no need to wait for the rod to come back in the mail.

Very sensative tip with enough backbone to handle hogs in the river current. Turk

I have two of the 6' 9" Limit Creeks. I use one for jigging and the other for pitching blades to river walleyes. Very sensitive rod and at a great price. You have to step up to the new Avids at twice the money to surpass the Limit Creek.

NCLaker: I agree the price of a St. Croix is steep compared to others out there. No argument. I just like the St. Croix better that is all. I suppose it ultimately comes down to personal preference. Otherwise we would all be fishing with Shakespeare Ugly Stiks.

By the way, that is not a knock on Ugly Stiks, they are a great inexpensive all around rod. But when you fish as much as I do you come to favor certain rods over others and I like the St. Croix's.

Tight Lines;

Uncle Kes

Originally Posted By: jigeye
I just noticed my 6'6" Med Lt action Berkley Series One fishing rod is broke so I'm in the market for a new one. Any suggestions? I liked the Series One but question it's durability. It looks like the blank thickness is very thin. Looking to spend around 100 for the new one.

Thanks,

Jigeye

Send it back to Pure Fishing, and they will replace it.

Then, go buy a new one if you like.

By the way, I hated my Fenwick Techna AV. for what its worth.

Turk: I have never fished a Limit Creek Rod. Heard about them a time or two. But never fished one. Maybe I ought to pick one up and try it to see how it compares to my St. Croix's. I am in and out of Hudson all the time anyway and I only live in Fridley? You sure seem to be sold on them! I will look think about it and if I decide to pick one up I will get back to you?

Thanks for the idea.

Tight Lines;

Uncle Kes

UncleKes,

Look at the distributer list at http://www.limitcreek.com for the dealer closet to you. I really like them because they can do it in terms of mulitple techiques plus very very sensative with backbone to land hogs. I hauled in a ten pounder last Saturday in the current with the medium light! Great give them a look ( they say looking can't hurt unless your wife catches you!)Sure get back to me when you'd like!

Turk