• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Non motor get together

I haven't thought about it recently, but I know there was a small group who talked about it last year. I'm sure we could get something going.

I don't do a lot of paddling locally so I don't have the best ideas about places to go, but if nothing else, there is always the Chain of Lakes in Mpls. The numerous species and the chance to paddle one of the gems of the Twin Cities really increase the draw. People don't have to fish to want to do the paddling.

If we're also thinking about just paddling trips, I've also done a short trip down the Minnehaha Creek too. Its good for canoes or 'yaks. We start at Tonka and follow the creek into Hopkins and Mtka.

Great idea. I do the bulk of my paddling in the BWCA & am always looking for an excuse to put the canoe in the water closer to home.

The Minneapolis Chain of Lakes is a great idea, & I'd love to paddle Minnehaha as well. Another one, a little ways out, that's really nice is Little Carnelian by Stillwater. There's a portage-esque walk down to the lake from a very small parking lot, & the fishing for pike & bass is pretty good. Picturesque lake, too, lots of old submerged timber with a few of my lures in the wood. \:\)

Andy - Calhoun, Isle, and cedar could work. Its a great paddle throughtout those three, and fishing is also good in all three. It would be a good variety of fishing and paddling, plus places to pull a shore for lunch.

Just a thought - but how about May 24th for bass opener?

I would definitely be interested in any FM paddling gathering. If the water levels are right you can paddle the Minnehaha Creek from Gray's Bay all the way to Minnehaha falls.

Let me know what if you guys need help planning this event.

I'd rather not do the creek, I've heard some horror stories of canoes getting demalished there.

My vote would be: if in the city then Calhoun, Isle and Cedar. If out of the city, someone has mentioned Little Corneila, out by Stillwater, that sounds interesting.

I think the chain of lakes is a great idea. We could even do a sort of CFR tournament, and have a cook out afterworlds or something.

I do suggest we move it out a ways though, I would prefer the end of June myself. But do what works for the most of us.

Have any of you heard of Rice Creek,in ardenhills,Through the,Armory?Weapons?Fed.land now opening to canoers, yakers.Its a really nice cruise And the mile or so that was offlimits is now opening to the public.It may be a good time to check into it before the masses get there

I only mentioned Minnehaha as a paddling opportunity. I wouldn't use it as a big GTG.

It does have to be done relatively early because of water levels.

I've never done Rice Creek, but I've thought about it. I don't know where to start.

I have yaked minnehaha creek before, fun if the water is high, not much for fishin though...

the city lakes are a blast, I yak fished calhoun a few times and got some fat largemouths, and had a tiger musky jump right in my lap while trying to snap a pic boatside in the dark!

early summer sunday afternoons would be best for me!

ST croix river is nice too. You can go from interstate park to William obrien... or stop at franconia landing for a shortened version.

Or

I've done the snake river to the St. Croix, and down to one of the parks, can't remember which one.

I really like the upper st. croix, it is beautiful, and generally too shallow for motorboats.

There are some great trips in SE MN area.

I never thought of the Croix either. I've never been on it before, but I don't see why not. Great scenery, great fishing and there is camping available if people want to make it a weekend adventure.

Hey powerstroke - what ya say you and I make this thing happen? Its souding like there are quite a few interested.

I think the St.Croix would be awesome. Its a great paddle and St. Croix state park has a shuttle to the landing area.