• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

jiggin rules

Bob Cunningham

with Mn.law says you can have three(3) flies on a line. Does this mean for ice fishing I can have a jig and fly or two flies above the jig or can I fish only with a jig. or just three flies. I am after pan fish and the way they have the law written it's confusing. Thanks

It is my understanding as well that you can only fish with one lure. Now if it is a jig that is your lure you can attach a stinger hook to it though. Like a jigging Rap thought there are 2 single and 1 treble on it it is consider 1 lure to since it is one piece. I don't think you can do what you are mentioned though. But to be sure e-mail the DNR they are super about responding to e-mails and the usually have you an answer with in a day.

------------------
Grip it and Rip it

IFFWalleyes
I Fish For Walleyes

Bob,
You are correct. Page 13 of the regs state:

"• Anglers may use only one hook. An artificial lure is considered one hook. A treble hook, when not part of an artificial lure, is considered three hooks and is not legal. The exceptions are: Three artificial flies may be used when angling for trout, crappie, sunfish, and rock bass.
• Anglers may use only one line. The exceptions are:
a) Two lines may be used through the ice (other than on designated trout lakes and streams); and B) Two lines may be used on Lake Superior when more than 100 yards from the point where a tributary stream or river enters the lake."

While it may be legal to run three artificial flies on one line for panfish, I would suggest that it is not the best way to icefish. Stick with one jig and use live bait, waxworms, eurolarvae, or minnows.

Luckyfish thanks for the reply. They are still handing out the wood plus cash for the tourneys and the rings and cash for the championship. This year there is a $5000 pay back at each tourney and $50,000 at the championship in Dec 2004 Come on over to Alexandria the weekend of the 21st and cheer everyone on.