• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mountable sunfish

Huntin&Fishin

Originally Posted By: jnelson

Of all the massive sunfish stories I've heard in my life, of "1 lb+ fish!" and "buckets of 10"ers", very few ever live up to the hype of a true-measurement with a bumpboard and tail-pinch. I can't tell you how many 10"ers turn out to be 8's and 9's when put to the tape.

So true, so true. So many people catch a very nice bluegill and never put the tape to it or weigh it, and then judge it by comparing it to the bottom of the bucket or fillet board or knife. So when someone tells me they got some bluegills up to 10" or a bunch around 3/4 to 1 lb. I have a hard time believing that, unless you stumble onto honey hole that no body fishes.

Another note, Leech I think I can help ya by telling ya a taxidermist that does a fine job on bluegills and crappies. If your interested just let me know.

I have my first gill for the wall: I never thought about mounting one until this fish and it was just over 11.25" Even froze now at home (yes I have looked at it several times) It is still over 10.5" frozen:

I have several small lakes north of DL that I can catch 8-9.5" sunnies often: With at least a couple right at the 10" mark: They are great fish and HUGE for gills but once you see an 11+ come out, you will wonder what those freaks must be eating! If there is anyone in the area who wants to head out, let me know. I am sure of you catching a 9" each time..... but the rule is....you will be sworn to silence, and unless you are putting the fish on the wall, it goes back!

Big Sunnies are a blast!

I'm on the fence; I caught a great one this weekend with a great group of guys on beautiful day. Wish it was a true bluegill, but it is a beaut all the same. I probably could have set her up for measuring better, but it is what it is.

sspx0071b.jpg

sspx0073w.jpg

A mountable sunfish is all in the momment. if it's your first 11 in. gill or your childs first 8" or just a day you wish you could re-live over and over.

That's what a mount really means Preserving the memories.

The beautiful thing about a replica is you can have the replica made any size you want. We all know how some people's 11" sunnie is really smaller, well get a replica made 12-13" and tell people that it is an exact replica of the fish you caught!

P.S. I prefer skin mounts. I have a northern pike mounted from 1979 that still looks good.

I decided to have one mounted based on the memory thing. A real nice day out with the F I L, besides I've wanted to get a "scene" started with fish caught on memorable days. Monster so-called "trophy"? Nope just a nice day with family. A little under 10"

092.jpg

My son and I have access to a private lake that really hasn't been ice fished until we started doing it. Two winters ago we drilled what felt like a thousand holes and finally found a weed bed that seems to stay green all winter long. We get at least one 10 gill and numerous 9 inchers just about every time there. Last week he asked if we could put a couple on the wall and I said if we caught three over 10.5 I would do it. In the next half hour we caught 7 that went 10.25. Every one got a quick measurement, a quick photo and back down the hole. Couldn't have asked for a better afternoon.

HPIM0496-1.jpg

HPIM0498-1.jpg

Heres one from last year that measured a little over 10.5", the first pic. its with a 9" to do it justice. I caught it during a couple rare occasions too, I was with my girlfriend, and we were the only ones on the lake. Released the fish but if I ever get the privelage to catch another like it, she will be haning on my wall.