• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

R2-Tec vs. Fish Trap Thermal

Bothun

I have the r2 tec model 300.The biggest fault i have with it is the zipper on the door.It does not cut through the ice if you get it wet.I just open the door from the top.I have yet to see the material frost up.I have been out in the -10 with -40 windchill.The only thing that will frost up is the sled.I could not use my mr.heater 9,000 btu sunflower heater because it gets to hot in there.If you put snow around the skirting it really seals up nice.Another smart thing they did was make the windows velcrowed in.If one goes bad just get a new one.Would i ever buy this portable again? Without hesitation.Gander mountain in mankato had this model marked down from $1299.00 to $999.00

With an insulated portable, it makes sense that the zippers might freeze up. Insulated portables should have more issues than non-insulated portables because the temperature difference of the zipper is greater compared to the rest of the traps surface, thus collecting more condensation at the zipper. Windows on an insulated portable should theoretically collect more frost or condensate as well ...

LB

I have had not one single issue with the zipper this winter and have fished in -30 temps with windchills lower. One thing I always do is clean the holes out with the dipper before I place the cover over the top. This way, you stand next to no chance of splashing water on or near the zipper.

Originally Posted By: Pulling-M-In
$699 gander in Bemidji

just cant justify buying one though, thats a lot of propane.

That is definatly a choice one has to make. I will tell you this, the Canvas craft in the insulated version is one heck of a warm house. The first three times out this ice season, we never started the heater at all. The inside is a very light color and is very easy to light. When the wind is blowing it seems like nothing comes through the material. It is really more than just a propane deal for me. I love this house. It goes up and down with the poles like nothing I have ever used before.