• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

yellow lab pink nose

killerloop1

Probably a vitamin D deficency. Very common in yellow labs. Not enough sunlight in the winter time. If she had a black nose in the summer, it should be back.

Some yellow labs have a 'duddley' nose. This is lack of pigment caused from too many successive yellow to yellow breedings or some mutated (chocolate) gene that the dog recieved. Generally if a yellow has recieved some dominant (black) gene, it will display a black nose, black eye rims, dark brown eyes and black foot pads. These are generally considered desirable traits in a yellow. To insure this, it is always best to go back to black occassionally in yellow breedings.

Good Luck!

Ken

May not be related to her age. I have a yellow lab that is about 16 months old. His nose has done the same thing during both of his winters! We asked our vet during a routine checkup last year, she called it "snow nose". Happens due to the reduced amount of sunlight the dog is exposed to in the winter months. His nose darkened up when spring rolled around last year, I am waiting to see if it does again this spring. Sounds like maybe the same thing you have witnessed....

Originally Posted By: LABS4ME
Probably a vitamin D deficency. Very common in yellow labs. Not enough sunlight in the winter time. If she had a black nose in the summer, it should be back.

Some yellow labs have a 'duddley' nose. This is lack of pigment caused from too many successive yellow to yellow breedings or some mutated (chocolate) gene that the dog recieved. Generally if a yellow has recieved some dominant (black) gene, it will display a black nose, black eye rims, dark brown eyes and black foot pads. These are generally considered desirable traits in a yellow. To insure this, it is always best to go back to black occassionally in yellow breedings.

Good Luck!

Ken

I looked closer and it has pink claws...

Don't worry about the claws... (toenails). Look at the pads on the feet.

You need to use a photo hosting site like photobucket to host your photos. that keeps the bandwith use down for the forums.

Good Luck!

Ken

Originally Posted By: LABS4ME
Don't worry about the claws... (toenails). Look at the pads on the feet.

You need to use a photo hosting site like photobucket to host your photos. that keeps the bandwith use down for the forums.

Good Luck!

Ken

Here's a pick from summer

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg77/pointinglab1/Jazztime.jpg

it's caused by lack of an enzyme called tyrosinase which indirectly controls the production of melanin (melanin makes a caucasion person "tan" from sun exposure), usually happens as dog's age (past age two). My yellow labs nose color changes from abrasions in the fall and this time of the year it isn't nearly as black as in the Summer. Tyrosinase increases in the Summer, type in "pigment in yellow labs" and an article by a lab breeder shows pictures and explains all of the reasons for labs "clown" nose colors caused by genetics and the enzyme issue.

Good looking pup Killer! I have a 13 month old yellow that seems to have lost a little of the deep black coloration on her nose this winter. After I took her hunting this fall she really hit the brush hard and it was almost pink for a couple months following the last time I had her out in late November. Throughout the winter she has regained much of the original coloration back, but it is not as dark as it had been.

I didn't think much of it, but I am glad to hear that it will most likely return to the deep black it was last summer.

We had a litter of pups a year ago, 4 blacks and 5 yellows.

One possible buyer of a yellow wanted me to guarantee that the nose would stay black or I had to return his money.

Ya OK, go buy your pup somewhere else. That is more of a common occurance than the nose staying black for eternity.

All of us who have the beautiful yellow Labs get to enjoy the color alteration on a yearly basis. I think most, if not all, would prefer that the nose would stay black but it just isn't in the cards for the majority of us.

Originally Posted By: duckbuster
We had a litter of pups a year ago, 4 blacks and 5 yellows.

One possible buyer of a yellow wanted me to guarantee that the nose would stay black or I had to return his money.

Ya OK, go buy your pup somewhere else. That is more of a common occurance than the nose staying black for eternity.

All of us who have the beautiful yellow Labs get to enjoy the color alteration on a yearly basis. I think most, if not all, would prefer that the nose would stay black but it just isn't in the cards for the majority of us.

Even if the claws are pink,,, Ken mentioned the dudley effect,,, and claws have nothig to do with this??.. I'm prolly going to get this dog, and not that i DISLIKE IT, BUIT MIGHT NEED TO GIVE IT UP DUE TO i ALREADY HAVE A POUCH THAT SHIX EVERYWHERE

kloop... pup looks good, don't worry about the claws. Nose should go back to black.

Has black pads and black eye rims... nose is just 'right', I say you 'got's' no problem in the pigment dept.... I can't help with the shix dept.

Good Luck!

Ken