• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Flipping?

fishcast

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeppers, low and slow.. With baitcasting gear you can slow the worm down just before it hits the water and 'bow' the rod at the last second as well.. this will slow the lure. And side arm or pitching casts that are just above the water surface.

If practiced a flip should make little to no splash at all.. low and slow!

Ok, going to try pitching this year after watching someone school me on the Rum River last year. Couple of questions:

1. I have been practicing inside the house over the last couple days and it seems that the rotating mass of the spool and line plays a big role in this. I have an old crappy BC reel and the spool has a lot of mass. When trying to pitch the bait, it has to overcome the inertia of the spool and tends to slow down the pitch drastically and lessens the distance I can pitch. I realize that the mass of the line is very minimal compared to the spool but I was wondering if some people that have pitching rods choose not to fill the spool completely up with line? Im guessing one really only needs 150 or so feet of line max when pitching, sound accurate?

2. I have another BC reel I plan to use for pitching with a drilled spool that has much less rotating mass but I still notice it slowing down my pitch when I fling it out there. I plan to buy a couple more BC reels this spring, one probably for pitching. Should I be looking for a very light spool? Is this mentioned on BC reel specs anywhere?

Thanks!

Tiger-I'm not exactly sure how much the spool weight plays into this. On a reel you should build up energy in the swing enough to make the underhand cast called a pitch. Most pitching is done with somewhat heavy lures... 3/8 oz jigs, ect or more.. 1 oz tubes? Find a reel that has super free technology.. or one your able to turn off all anti backlash, and loosen the clutch and you should be good to go.

I fill my reel, I dont short spool it.

It maybe that the spindle control is still to tight. Try backing off on the spindle control. Then control the spool with the mag. or cent. brakes. Also, for my pitching/flipping sticks I short spool myself (only fill the spool half-full) this will cut down on over-runs. And since you rarely pitch more than 30/40 feet you will not need all that extra line.