• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

A Newbie with newbie questions....

Ok, so I have been taking pictures for many years BUT not with this camera!! I recently got myself the Canon XTi (Merry Christmas to me!!)Which I love it so far.

I have a 75-300 lens that fits on it and a few extras. I am crazy about wildlife and landscape pics, but since my purchase found out how TERRIBLE of a photographer I really am AND HOW AWESOME YOU ALL ARE!! :)So my camera and I are currently having a love/hate relationship...

Question 1: Any advice as to why my pictures are not in focus where I think they are? No, I don't have bad eyes, yet, and yes I have the little cheater blinking lights to show me what IS in focus, but I have printed some of the at least 300 pics I have taken and they are REALLY disappointing. Is it my lens? My non-photo eye? HELP!! confused.gif

Question 2: What photo editing can be purchased without selling a kidney? I really want to get into editing my photos and "playing" with them, but I am not sure what to get...in addition to that can you ALSO tell me what kind of computer works best.

I know advice shouldn't come for free, but I REALLY APPRECIATE IT!! If any of you can get me off to the right direction I would be GREATFUL!!! Thanks!

fisherchick

fisherchick, the latest version of Photoshop Elements is pretty affordable and will give you what you need for photo processing. No need to drop over $600 (or a kidney) on Photoshop CS3. grin.gifgrin.gif

As for the out-of-focus issue, it could be a number of things related to your technique or your equipment, and to explain each possibility and what to do about each would take a long time and a lot of space here, not to mention you'd have to do a lot of experimenting to figure out which possibility it is.

It would be best if you posted an example of an image you're unhappy with. If you haven't posted pics here before, you can go to that "How to Post Pics Here" thread right on this board.

I'm not trying to put you off, but by posting an example, I can use and exif reader to pull off all the important data such as iso, shutter speed, aperture and so forth, and it's only with that data and the pic in front of us that we can give you some targeted advice.

On the face of it, that lens is plenty sharp on that body so it's not a lens quality issue (though it might be a bad copy of the lens). We can't really tell until we see the example(s).

Does that work OK for you? If you're willing to do just a little more work we can help you a lot more effectively.

And by the way, EVERY bit of advice on HSO/FM comes for free. grin.gifgrin.gif

Ooops, forgot to add, another option if all that posting pics here stuff sounds too complicated is just e-mail me a single image that's a good example of your concerns and I can take care of posting it here along with the pertinent data to we all all take our looks at it.

stfcatfish,

Thanks so much for the interest in helping me out! grin.gif I will have to bring my "stuff" with me to work and get some photos on this computer. (Snail Mail at home...too far out in country for DSL) After that I will try to post it here, if that doesn't work I will go the email route.

PLEASE, when you do see my pics and settings, understand I REALLY HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I AM DOING!! Kindof like sharing a diary! blush.gif For example, I have no idea what this means: "On the face of it, that lens is plenty sharp on that body so it's not a lens quality issue (though it might be a bad copy of the lens). We can't really tell until we see the example(s)."

So, if you have time, please bear with me! I truly appreciate it!

Happy fishing and photos!

fisherchick

No prob, ma'am. Take your time, and don't worry, we'll be nice. grin.gifgrin.gif

Lenses, like cars or fishing rods or gas grills, face quality control issues, and just like you sometimes get a lemon among an otherwise great line of cars, you can get a bad "copy" of a lens even though it's generally a good line of lenses.

But we're getting ahead of ourselves! grin.gifgrin.gif

Steve (and others here) will get you pointed in the right direction for sure. Funny as it may sound, in my opinion, people such as yourself sharing you woes will generate a lot of positive interest, because the experts here are so generous to help. Not only that, but I would think that there are others that figure, heck someone else is “baring it all”, I guess I’m not the only one who is frustrated/overwhelmed.

There are some real pros here and the info is invaluable, whether the subject is Photography or Fishing.

I know myself when reading some of these photogs posts I need to ask……um…….could you repeat the part about the stuff where you talked about the things? grin.gif

dtro,

I have to admit I was really apprehensive to ask ANY question, let alone the ones I did ask. I have been viewing the pics posted here and reading the forum for a long time, comprehending maybe 70% of what is said. I was just too scared to ask! It is like asking for advice on someone's "secret" lake and expecting them to tell every detail down to the pound test...you just don't do that. It is "Secret Lake" Ethics! I am really glad I did and look forward to expanding my horizons in the photo world!

So, have no fear, fisherchick is here, and probably going to ask some really dumb questions! crazy.gif Thanks again and I am really excited to post some of my pictures!

The reason these boards exist is to spread information and advice. There are no dumb questions or bad pictures If anyone has questions they should feel free to ask away, there are many people who frequent these boards that can be very helpful with a lot of knowledge in different areas.

This is a great place to post some of your photos and if you want specific advice just ask. There is no "bashing" of ones work allowed here, that will be met with quick and swift editing. So don't feel like your not good enough to post shots here. Its about learning and shorting your learning curve with helpful friendly feedback and advice if you ask for it. I look forward to seeing some of your work.

After all my years with 35mm cameras I consider myself a good photog,How ever my new Digital I'm lost just like my new computer 2 yrs ago LOST.Dont feel alone chick I'll be asking many questions come spring & summer when I'm outside 90% of the time and 1/2 of that is doin something with a camera along.At least I dont have to buy & develop film any more,I still will use my ancient for pics I dont want to ruin.but I see lots a trial & error in my near future.

You will learn more shooting one summer with your camera than you did in years of shooting film...one simple reason, instant feedback! You can shoot and look at the result and make an adjustment and take another shot. You will shoot more frames in one month than you did in a year of film shooting, it doesn't cost you one cent to do that.

Take advantage of the capabilities that digital has to offer. You won't look back again.

Thanks, stfcatfish! Wish I was savvy enough to get that eclipse by photo, although no matter how cold it is going to be, (radio guy just said -40) I will be out on the lake to see it with my eyes!

I will bring in my gizmos and gadgets tomorrow and see what kind of damage I can do...THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE!!!

Fisherchick,

One thing I have noticed with other photogs is that most don't have secrets like "the secret lake" although some do. Most and especially on this forum are willing to give help to anyone who asks. That's one of the reasons I enjoy it so much. I have gotten a lot of help from others here and others in person.

Good Luck, it can be frustrating when starting out with new stuff can't it.

Mike, you are right on. And the help asked for and given is generally a lot more about techniques and gear than about specific locations. Most of what a person can find out here about photography is stuff that can be read in any number of books already on the market.

But reading a book is not nearly as much fun as being part of a sharing, supportive community where we're all trying to help each other get the most out of photography.

Wow, fisherchick, it's only getting to -25 up here (not counting wind chill). Where are you that it's getting to -40?

Originally Posted By: Dbl
You will learn more shooting one summer with your camera than you did in years of shooting film...one simple reason, instant feedback! You can shoot and look at the result and make an adjustment and take another shot. You will shoot more frames in one month than you did in a year of film shooting, it doesn't cost you one cent to do that.

Take advantage of the capabilities that digital has to offer. You won't look back again.

I'm hoping so! Soon as I figure which some of the (seems like)over a million settings! and which progran and button controls what.Ya gotta remember my generation grew up with pencils With erasers.

Another question...

First of all, I love the pics of the eclipse everyone! I too took some shots of it and was extremely excited to share, BUT when I plugged in my USB into my computer, which is extremly ancient, but works, said it doesn't recognize the driver. Does that mean I need the software that came with my camera? If so, I am so bummed and will have to try tomorrow...

stfcatfish- I was wrong about the weather guy, he was talking windchill...it was only -26 when I was out taking my pics of the moon...a tropical heatwave! It was so awesome, being on the lake, in the cold, with the backdrop of White Pines, trying to keep my digits warm. The thing that was really cool was how it was SO BRIGHT then got SO DARK (obviously) as the eclipse occured...I throughly enjoyed it!!! Those are all the things I wish you could capture in a picture along with what you are seeing.

stay warm!!!

fisherchick

fisherchick the best thing for you do do is go buy a $20 card reader. It is the easiest and fastest way for you to get your photos off of your card and on to your computer. Then you don't have to worry about drivers for your camera.

Can't wait to see some of your shots!

Okay, I can do that, but now another question...what the heck is a card reader? Like I said, sorry for all of the questions. I just graduated from developing film at WalMart.... grin.gif

(JOKING) I don't know about you guys, I think you are trying to spend my entire savings!! \:D Since my first question yesterday I could have already spend $1000! I am joking, I am really excited to make some purchases and I know I have come to the right place to ask my questions. Instead of someone trying to sell THEIR product you guys are telling me what works best and I appreciate it!

fc

fc, like Dan said you'll be amazed how much faster a card reader works. Best cheap investment out there for folks like us. Back when I used the USB cable (for about a month before I got sick of that), it took nearly 25 seconds to transfer a single image. Card readers work like lightning.

You may find yourself getting a new computer down the road, but if you have fairly simple software and are shooting in jpeg instead of RAW mode, you may also be able to hang on to your current computer. Mostly the thing is whether you've got photo software old enough for your operating system. If you buy the latest version of Elements, for example, your operating system may be too old to run it.

Anyway, what type of computer do you have? PC or Mac? We've got a few Mac folks here who can help on that end (I'm one of them), but if you've got a much more common PC, there are a lot of folks in here who can help you with those technical angles.