• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Berkley Sensation

Seabass77

Anyone use berkley sensation while ice fishing? Any problems with water absortion or being too brittle? I really like this for open water panfishing and was thinking of using it this season on the ice.

Thanks, Joe

Berkley Vanish is a good choice to try out. Flourocarbon line that performs well when finessing panfish and clearwater walleye. Less visible in water but still holds strength. I have a few light action rods spooled with it and one medium/light action rod. Might be worth a try. Sometimes the line can make the difference in no fish or a limit.

Good Fishin,
Matt

[email protected]
Catch-N Tackle
MarCum

MJ5........I've been using flourocarbon for a few winters now but just tying on a 36" section to the end of my spool line. By the time it gets to 18", I cut it off and tie on a new line. There's no doubt it's invisible in water (same light coeficient) and helps alot to use. But an entire spool? I still like to use Trilene XL or the Rapala Finesse lines on my spools. Hard to teach an old dog new tricks. I like line stretch and that line stretches alot less in cold water........T

Yep.......no swivel. Bloodknot only. The line will break before the knot gives out. Haven't lost one yet. I'd rather be lucky than good any day. (In my case, that's a good thing!)..........T

I also have tried Berkely Sensation for hardwater fishing, I've noticed also that it fishes a little stiff, I'm alot like T-Bone I find it hard to replace the trusty green Trilene XT for walleyes and the golden stren for gill and crappie fishing.

For neutral/negative 'eyes and pannies, I just use the blood knot to tie the Vanish on to the XL.

For using jigging lures that spin — like spoons or jigging raps for aggressive biters like lakers or for 'eyes when they're on the bite — I put a swivel between the two types of line, leaving about three feet of fluorocarbon. Swivel takes out the twist, and I haven't found it's turned off the walleyes. With two rods — one rigged for jigging and one as a passive deadstick or bobber rod — even if an 'eye is brought in by the jigging and turned off by the swivel, odds are it'll still smack the live minnow.

As a hedge, I usually use the smallest swivel I can get away with for the line weight, and make it black so it doesn't flash.

------------------
"Worry less, fish more."
Steve Foss
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by stfcatfish (edited 11-04-2003).]

Well put TBone, I see that done a lot but I've never used that approach, makes sense though. I'll have to re-rig a rod and tie on a three foot section of Vanish to the end of some Micro Ice. Do you use a small swivel or tie directly? I've seen swivels used in the past.

Good one, thanks!

Good Fishin,
Matt

[email protected]
Catch-N Tackle
MarCum