• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Photography Club

I like the idea of this being a learning thing. With so many types of equipment being used, it would be hard to judge fairly, and you may not get as many people involved. I know I would hesitate to post if it were judged.

I also like the idea of voting on a list of topics.

I don't think it should be a voted or judged contest either, the intent of my idea was to increase the learning opportunities for all. And I would definitely like to see as many P&S shooters involved and to encourage folks to get out and shoot. Maybe even have a month where the shot has to be from a P&S camera. I also like the idea of a poll at the end of each month so everyone can have some input on the topics for the upcoming month.

Looks like this is taking shape, keep the suggestions coming. I personally am not in favor of any form of voting or judging except the topics to be picked, it should be a showcase of your efforts trying to meet the challenge for that month.

I love the idea of a P&S shot.

Originally Posted By: yakfisher
I don't think it should be a voted or judged contest either, the intent of my idea was to increase the learning opportunities for all. And I would definitely like to see as many P&S shooters involved and to encourage folks to get out and shoot. Maybe even have a month where the shot has to be from a P&S camera. I also like the idea of a poll at the end of each month so everyone can have some input on the topics for the upcoming month.

Very well said Yakfisher. My thoughts exactly.

Originally Posted By: stfcatfish
We're for sure going to want people to include the exif data and other considerations of the shot, how they set it up, what they were thinking, what they hoped to achieve.

Steve,

What is exif data and how does the novice photographer include this with thier submision?

I think the idea is awsome yakfish. It will give novices like myself some idea how to set up shots and work some of the mind boggling sofware that is out there.

I also would like the crituque to include ways to better the image. Not any form of negative feedback. \:D Lets keep it as possitive as possible with the admin. of the forum the ability to remove unapropreate images.

I like the idea of voting on the topic for each month but it needs to be narrowed to 4. There should also be a cut off date for submitting topics for the next month to give you guys time to narrow it to 4

Moose, exif is the data embedded in the image file. The key data includes: camera, lens, focal length, iso, shutter speed, aperture, flash if any, exposure compensation if any. Other data that can be important but are not incuded in exif are: tripod or handheld, remote shutter release/timer.

You can google "exif reader" and download one of a number of very simple free exif readers.

If you "save for Web" in Photoshop, however, before you upload the image, exif is stripped. I generally don't worry about folks posting exif data unless they are looking for a critique, because those settings are key in allowing the viewer to craft worthwhile comment on an image.

And never fear, Dan and I always have the ability to zap any comments that are too harsh or photos with content inappropriate to a family site. There will be guidelines, and the guidelines will be clear. But also please be tolerant and understand that, just as many are novice photographers, many also are novices at giving and receiving critiques, so a bit of understanding and giving the benefit of the doubt will tend to keep things smooth.

I've been reading the comments and this sounds like a great Idea! If I may suggest an idea for the "first shot". How about a single picture that best describes you, sure it could be a self portrait, but have it so others can look at the picture and know who you are, or just your favorite hobbies, etc.