• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

$4137.00 and counting

tightlines

Tanseys
for attaching you walls to the frame I would nail/screw a 2X4 on the bottom of your studs as well as on top. Then in order to find long enough screws you will probably have to drill yourself a pilot hole and use non self tapping screws in order to attach it to the frame. But with what you are doing I myself would just attach the walls to the floor rather than worrying about getting all the way to the frame so 1 1/2" (2X4) + 1/2" plywood + 3/4" foam + 1/2" plywood = 3 1/4" screws and that will put you right to the top of the frame. I think that if you do that it will be the easiest and quickest method and it should hold just fine. If you want to attach it directly to the frame try finding about 4" screws and that should do ya. Good luck with it. I will tell you the method my dad did with his, he had the frame and we did the floor then he said screw it and we had a custom aluminum house put on it was the easiest for us not the cheapest though.

------------------
Grip it and Rip it

IFFWalleyes
I Fish For Walleyes

[This message has been edited by iffwalleyes (edited 11-05-2003).]

Tanseys,

Started putting my 1st layer of treated floor on tonight. Man that hydraulic system is sweet!

I will be doing a sandwich type floor as well, two layers of 1/2" treated plywood around 1" polystyrean pink rigid insulation as well as the gluing process you described.

I'll need 4" screws to fasten my walls down. Not sure how I'm doing it yet but I dought I'll find any self-tapping screws that long.
Most likely I'll have to somehow drill them out...yep now I'll have to find one long drill bit as well, I guess that's what makes it fun hey!

Hope to be done by the 2nd week of Dec.

Walks

Hey walks: Congrats on the beginning of your project. It is a lot of fun building and designing your own shack. I did the floor the same way you are doing yours. I never did find long enough screws to go through the two layers of ply and one layer of foam. I ended up drilling all the way through the floor and frame and bolting the floor and wall to the frame. Should be able to pull her down the road at 95 without it blowing off the frame. LOL LOL.. Just kidding. If you give me your e-mail address I would send you some pic's if you like. You will be shocked at how much money you spend on nails,screws, bolts, adhesives,and caulking just to hold everything together. tightlines

Walks,

I just glued up all my floor "sandwiches" last night and stacked everything I could find in my garage on top of them to get them all sealed up tight. I ended up purchasing some 5" hex head lag bolts which I plan on using to secure the walls down into the frame. I drilled a test pilot hole in my frame last night and was able to easily secure a small piece of scrap would with one of my bolts. Hope to get the floor bolted on tonight, then off to Menards for 2x4's which I'll rip in half to start building my walls.

I've got kid duty around the house this weekend and deer hunting next weekend so this "work thing" I have to do everyday is really getting in the way of my shack building time. Hope to have the wall frames up before I head out deer hunting next weekend.

Tightlines - I'd be interested in seeing your shack pictures if you've got other ones besides the ones already posted on this sight: [email protected]

Tightlines,

Sure would like to see some more pictures…[email protected]
I think I’ll be bolting down the walls to the frame as well. I’m already experiencing the shock affect on the wallet!

Tanseys,

I’m familiar with the kid duty thing! Some days it doesn’t seem like there’s enough time in each day to get everything done.

Take care,
Walks

I have another request for some pic's.

[email protected]

I'll be using 1/4" luaun, 1 1/2" polysterene, then probably 1/2" ply on top followed with carpet. Hope to get the wall frames built and floor on this afternoon. It's gonna be hard trying to concentrate on deer tomorrow morning when it'll be 11 degrees and you KNOW there's ice being made somewhere.

I am just a couple days till completion of the interior of the shack. I will get a set of pic's posted when I am completed. Should have her wrapped up by this Sunday eve. Now I am really getting anxious for 12" of hard water. I got a feeling we could be walking out on a lot of lakes by next weekend. Come-on cold weather!!!

Hey Tansey: Be careful using hex head lag bolts to srew into your frame. I tried a couple times and both times the bolt stipped out going into the steel frame. I ended up bolting my floor and walls all the way through the frame and used a lock washer and nut on the top side. Really cranked it down tight. Just food for thought.

tightlines,

I've decide to heed your warning on the standard lag bolts and spring for the $1.20 a piece 6" self tapping 1/4" bolts from Fastenal. Last thing I want is my walls coming loose off my frame while going down the highway because I went the cheap route on the bolts. Even though the walls would be held down by being lagged through 1 3/4" of flooring material before getting to the frame, I thought about the pressure that will thrown against those walls while driving down the highway against a stiff wind and figured the piece of mind of having the walls secured to the frame properly was well worth the extra $20 or so.

Thanks for the input.

Tansey: Wise decision. Thats exactly how I felt too about the amount of pressure that will be put on those walls going down the road at 60-65 against a 25mph wind. I could not find any self tapping steel screws around here so that is why I went with the bolt and nut system. I would have done it the way you are had I found the right length screws. Keep me posted on how your shack is coming along. I will post some pic's of my completed shack in a few days.

I thought I would finish up last weekend but got side-tracked "had to buy a new pick-up to pull the shack", but should finish this weekend. WOW is this shack getting expensive as I wasn't planning on a vehicle up-grade. LOL Good excuse for me to finnaly get a ford 150 Lariat 4X4 club cab. Sure is one hell of a nice truck. Bought an older 98 model, but it looks like bran-shinny new. Leather and the works. Gonna be fishing in style this year. My wife figured out that the fish we eat is gonna be some where around $300.00 a pound.. LOL

You guys in Minnesota just saved my Colrado bacon! I thought I was crazy buying a $1200 ice tent. I am going to show my wife this stuff on your "huts". I am actaully jealous that I do not live in a state that allows permanent huts. Have a great hard water season!