• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

wooden floor for ice shack

MrSenarighi

Well I have a folding ice house with a wooden floor. The main problems are it will hold some moisture and gain some weight. If the wood is something other then marine plywood you will probably get some warping due to the water. Other than that wood floors are great I love not having cold feet.

Wood floors were the only type of floor availble when portables were first made. Many of these houses are referred to as "suit case" ice houses.

Factories have switched to plastic do to cost and lighter for shipping.

With a wood floor you can easily replace the floor when needed. You can also locate the hole and size to fit your needs.

If you are making your own house this is the only way to go.

MR S

The first fish house I owned was a used, homemade "lugable". Heavy as heck, but had a plywood floor. It got wet, but has held up. Many times we would come off the ice with it wet, only to find out that the moisture had evaporated and was dry by the next time we used it (cold air is very dry).

It was extremely nice to have when the the lakes get slushy from a heavy snow fall - as we were up, out of the snow and slush, as compared to the flip over style houses I now have.

My son has it now - still uses it. I miss
it in someways....that house had character.

My suggestion would be a minimum of CDX grade ply, and treated would be better. You might get by with 3/8" if you brace it properly on the underside. Most DIY plans I've seen on the web recommend 1/2" or even 5/8" for strength.

Hope this helps....

UG

All I am going to say is do not leave out overnight....My fist house I had, I went real cheap and used particle board, well so one Sunday we came in to watch a football game at my friends cabin by the time we made it back out (2 cases later), the floor was frozen to the ice, we tore it up trying to get it off the ice. Well now that I am a bit more wiser and a bit less cheap, I now use a a better grade plywood and I have been vary happy with it.....Good Luck.....

JegerJack

------------------
"What did the old man trade for these guys, a used puck bag?"

I would first try your luck at building one but use "marine" Note green treat for the floor. After that a good portable is the best bet and for heavens sake dont use particle board unless its only for a weekend. lol Ive built a few and still would prefer my simple Frabill over any luggy home made
take care, and anything you do to fish is all good.
Tim

I just realized that I just went from "new user" status to "fishing MN family" ahhh to feel family around me.
I dont know much but am happy to share what I know.
Tim

To keep the floor dry and to keep it from freezing to the lake carry 6 blocks of 2 inch wood. This will keep it off the ice and much easier to fold up when you leave. Sure it's more to carry but beats the hassle after 2 cases in the dark.

I prefer a wood bottom versus plastic. I use 3/8" regular obx and paint it white. I use 2x2's for the surrounding boarder, affix the canvas using roof nails, and line the perimiter with 90 degree metal that you use on corners for sheetrock. My main portable is over 25 years old, used roughly 30 times a season, and I'm only on my second floor which I replaced about 6 years ago. Be sure to paint the wood, it protects the wood and brightens the inside of the house 10 fold. I rarely have problems with my house sticking to the ice and only then when I pile slush around the outside and it freezes.

Stephen

I like my wood floor - build it light but strong. Glue and screw the cross members and edges. Warm days and very cold nights might leave you frozen down and if it's not solid you'll pry it up in pieces. I like standard exterior plywood - seems the ahesives stick better.

I second the painting. I recommend white and throw a little grit in the paint for traction.