• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Help with the Crappies

Mike Stark

so im new to the ice fishing game. i live up in the ely area. i looking for a little help getting some crappies. lakes?...lures?...live bait or plastics? any info would be great...or just direct me to the right place to find the info. by the way..i dont have a flasher \:\(

thanks so much!

mike

Hi. The Eagles Nest chain used to give up nice crappies. I've always found them relating to the edges of the cabbage. I haven't fished the lakes lately and I know the rusty crayfish have wreaked havoc on the cabbage. What I would do is wait till spring and explore the area a little trying spots along the new growth of weeds. As always the murky dark bottomed bays should produce in spring. Good Luck, ole

Having a flasher is a definite help,especially for suspended fish.Without one, I would fish just outside of a weedine,and focus on points and inside turns of that weedline.Fishing water of moderate depth,like just outside of a weedline, will be easier than fishing in deep water without a flasher.Jigging plastics on a variety of jigs will work.You can also use live bait,minnows or grubs-waxies,eurolarvae,etc.It depends on the lake your on,and what the local fish population prefer.Keep reading in this forum.There are many good posts here at the panfishing forum from moderators,prostaffers, and hardcore panfisherfolk, that can help get you on your way to catching crappies

I would start by asking local bait shops or other fishermen what lake and what depth the fish are at... once you know the general depth check out a lake map which you can get on the dnr site and find some areas of deeper basins say 20-40 feet depending on the lake... try to get as close as you can to the spot on the map then drill a hole and throw down a depth bomb... if it seems relatively deep i would try there... now crappies do like to suspend so as a starter i would try a demon jig tipped with a minnow then just throw on a slip knot and bobber.... start on the bottom and every 10-15 minutes no action move your bait up maybe 3-5 feet... It may take you a while to find a productive zone but this is really one of the best ways in my opinion to find active fish without a flasher...

Good Luck on your quest!

Ryan

Grab a few lake maps from your area and see which lakes interest you. I would also visit the BWCA-Duluth Forum as well. They are pretty good about keeping up-to-date fishing reports.

And like rockman said, having a flasher is going to help a ton. It takes a lot of the guess work out of it and helps you become a lot more effective and productive.

And as always, feel free to ask as many questions as you want right here \:\)

Fishing blind is something most of us have done from time to time back in the day.

Crappieman made some great suggestions.

The key here is to move a bunch.

Work that water column and work that structure.

Rockman & Matt both elude to flashers.

If there was ever a piece of gear that is a must besides an auger and rod is a flasher.

It will be your eyes.Reading the structure and finding fish is way easier cutting out mucho waisted hours of searching.

It will also show you how they are reacting to what you are offering them.This allows you to change up until you find what they will key on.

If ice fishing is something you plan on devoting any amoount of time .....you really should consider a flasher.

I agree, I do a lot of fishing and just recently baught a vex. I used to catch fish without one, just never had the extra 400 laying around. It is possible to catch fish without spending 5000 on getting set up, it all starts with hitting the lake and drilling holes. In my opinion the best way to learn is from your mistakes. Good Luck

Quote:
There has been times when I didn't have a flasher I would put more than one bait on one line about 3 to 4 ft. apart. This will help you find out what depth they are at.

I'm not trying to bust your (b@11$), but is this legal. I've read several in fisherman articles about tandem rigs, where they incorperate a tri-swivel, but I've kind-of understood MN DNR rules as 1 hook per line, unless its on a lure. I'd like to know, just incase I try it someday.

The regulations book says an angler can use three artificial flies, tied in tandem, on one line for trout,sunfish, crappies,and rock bass.My interpretation of this is trout style flies only,not jigs,or anything else.