• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

augers.....HELP!!!!!!

Daveo

I need a new auger this year..I bought a new strik master elc. last year(boy was that a misstake) I would like to get a 9" but would be happy enogh with a 8". dont want a heavy one and would perfer one that wont through ice all over my carpet.i know i cant have everything but would like to come close...the two runner ups so far is the ultra mag or the steath...would like some feed back if possibal as i do not wish to make another spendy mistake....thanks

I bought an Eskimo (shark). And it is great. it is the only auger out there with a chainsaw motor on it. Super Fast. The best part is the 2 year warrnty you get. Anything that I have broke on mine I call them up and they send me the new part. Now that is great.

Bigmouth how many parts have you broke. A good one shouldn't break should it. Haha. Guys, I just bought a new 10" Jiffy Stealth haven't used it yet just can't find ice. I am really excited to use it. My 20 + year old Jiffy Model 30 is finally getting to Retire but it will make a good back up if needed. I am a Jiffy guy myself I don't care about the weight even though yes the a definally heavier than a Strikemaster. I like the power they have and the reliability. Plus jiffys seldom break. I used to work in a small engine shop and I saw 3 strikemasters to ever jiffy I am not kidding about that either.

------------------
Grip it and Rip it

IFFWalleyes
I Fish For Walleyes

[This message has been edited by iffwalleyes (edited 10-27-2003).]

Daveo....

I believe your question is what auger to use in side a perminent house?

Even though I am a loyal Jiffy user I would recommend a Lazer Mag due to the fact that the rpms are much lower and will not throw ice around your house. These augers shave the ice so have extra blades handy just in case you nick the blades on the floor.

If you are strickly drilling holes outside I highly recommend a Jiffy. (The Stealth will reopen hold holes without a problem.)

PHOOL HERE! i need a pwr auger too,i tor up my rt. arm last yr. punching holes,i panfish only and MUST HAVE a pwr auger this yr.,i know nothing about them but must have a lightweight and b built to last and i don't need big holes but want one that can reopen holes is a must!HEY MY FISHING BROTHERS HELP ME PLEASE!PRICE IS NOT AND ISSUE!

phool,
Sounds to me like you need a power auger wink.gif

I would go with a 6 inch since you plan on fishing panfish all the time. Strikemaster makes a great auger as does Jiffy. I own an 8 inch Strikemaster that gets the job done and then some. Prcies can vary but should be somewhat similar throughout the different brands incoordination with the similar model/make.

Drop me an e-mail and I can help you out more if needed.

Good Fishin,
Matt

[email protected]

have you guys seen the new strikemaster lazer electric this year...i think its pretty kool that they have built in a battery so u dont have to carry around that heavy extra battery if your just redriling out the holes in your permanant. They also have a cord so if that battery does die you have the same option of using a cord and separate battery like the old ones

My pick would be the NEW Jiffy Stealth 2 HP 9".

2hpstealth_sm.jpg

Stealth™ serrated power point - gives positive starts and smooth easy cutting.

stealthpoint_sm.jpg

Black D-Ice'r ARMOR™ - prevents power-robbing ice build-up for fast clean cutting performance.

Five cutting surfaces makes this the fastest and smoothest cutting Jiffy drill ever built.

Serrated Ripper™ Blade - provides the best in super fast and smooth cutting.

Ideal for initial drilling and re-drilling of ice holes.

Also available with the Jiffy Yellow IceHouse™ Handles - allows easy positioning in ice shelters, even in corners!

icehouse_sm.jpg

JIFFY® INTRODUCES NEW HIGH PERFORMANCE STEALTH™ POWER TRAIN

New Stealth™ sets World Class Drive Train Performance Levels. Stealth takes 1st place through design technology.

New Power Train enhancement features Cryogenic bearings with state of the art low temperature lubricants that will remain mobile at -65°F and provide complete lubrication. These same bearings are used in the aircraft industry today.

Precision Rolled Gears, (which have a very high surface finish and tighter grain structure than that of the industry standards).

Mechanical Grade PTFE Thrust Washer reducing friction and resulting in more power to the cutting head.

These enhancements to the Power Train deliver 18% more power to the Stealth Cutting Technology.

Jiffy's Stealth engineering continues to lead the industry in engineering design and performance.

Ed Carlson

Backwater Guiding

"ED on the RED"

><,sUMo,>

[This message has been edited by Backwater Eddy (edited 10-18-2003).]

kevin, there was a few things that I did not like. one of the big ones is, it would suck the life out of a batt. in no time at all.
Another thing i did not like. even with new blades it was a work out.Seemed it took more to drill a hole with the elc. one than it did with a hand auger.
On the other hand it was lite and made no fumes in the ice house. and had VERY low RMS so it did not kick out alot of ice all over the carpet.
But then again it sucked so bad it did not make it out of the truck to many times..

Good luck if yea buy one

We used to make out own electric ice augers. An old starter, a gear box, a belt, a solenoid, and a GO button. We burned up a lot of starters and solenoids Eh. Smoked a lot of battery cables too.

But a buddy of mine made one 24V electric that to this day was the fastest auger I have ever seen. That baby could shave a hole in 3' of ice in 3 seconds flat.....zip done. It looked like a Blizzard when he hit the GO bottom Eh! But it almost took his leg off once too. If they jump out of the hole...they get dangerous real darn fast!

The big problem with an electric ice auger is they can't take much stress.They tend to heat up and smoke the motor or some other component. Some had circuit protection that quickly heated up and kicked out, then you had to wait for them to cool and start over again. Every time this happened it weakened the breaker and it would kick out even more......ya very frustrating.

If they are drilling clean ice and you don't push it, they will do well. They have no torque to handle rough ice. On a smaller 4-6" diameter pan fish holes they work great, less Resistance. They do not open up old holes very well because they do not have much low end power. Most are shavers and they don't do old holes well to start with.

If you do not drill a lot of holes and you wish a and smoke free system, then a new electric will serve you well. The older production models never impressed me much as they were built too light. They seldom lasted a season of hard use.

The new models are more Hi-Tech and may hold up better? I have heard good things about the new Electric Jiffy, but I have yet to use one so that is second hand info.

------------------
Ed Carlson

Backwater Guiding

"ED on the RED"

><,sUMo,>

thanks alot for all the input..I think its going to be a strike master. I realy wanted a 9" but
it looks like ill have to go with the 8" ultra.
that 3 blade one dont look like alot of guys are
saying to many good things about it.

Since i have a very bad back weight is a huge concern, and since my ice castel has carpet in it i realy want as less ice a possibal flying all over the place,,, kinda realy liked that ice house handel jiffy has to.. oh well..mabie someday i can have my cake and eat it to.

Thanks again cya all on the ice in a few..
DaveO