• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Alternative to HY-FAX runners

mjhowe

Get some plexiglass fronts from a Soda vending machine from your local PEPSI or.....
bottler, cut em to fit, heat and bend em to curve and voila!!

Did this to 3 portables this weekend and it looks like its gonna work great. Used pop rivets to attach. My fishing partner actually made some sled bases out of them last year, plus if youre lucky, you can get your favorite NASCAR drivers head under your sled!!!

------------------
Mike
Kalispell, MT
<<><<
"LOOK ALIVE, MAGGOT!"
(Not you Pal, I was talking to my bait)

Cool!

I have used a source for UHMW (hi fax material) on the net for sevral years.

This site has material overrun or scrap material for sale. I have used it for sacrifical ribs on the bottom of my Otter tubs with excellent results.

It saws easily with a table saw.

RICK - With your permission, I can post the link.

[Note from Rick: Go ahead and post it]

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 10-22-2003).]

Someone mentioned to me last week that they were using that paint your own bedliner on their truck and used the rest to coat their plastic sled for their house. They said it went on nice plus it will grip the ice with no snow better!

[This message has been edited by Wobbler (edited 10-14-2003).]

Wobbler,
Hy Fax is put on the bottom of the sleds so that they pull easier across the ice. That Bedliner material would make it grip better but it would make a lot of extra work when you need to move it exspecially when moving it by hand. I would put that on the inside of the floor maybe on my older suitcase portable.

------------------
Grip it and Rip it

IFFWalleyes
I Fish For Walleyes

Gissert,
I'm wondering what size (L x W)pieces you order from the distibutor and how many you install on the bottom of the sled? I have a mediaum otter sled that they will go on. since they are 1/4" thick i'm assuming you attach them to the ribs. Do you use large poprivets with backing to attach or small screws/locknuts?
Just put the boat to bed for the winter and tiem to work on the hard water stuff.
Thanks for any help on this one. I really like the fact that you can order specific sizes from them.
Xplorer

Gissert,
First, thanks, thats what i figured but wanted to do it right the first time.
Second, is there one less elk out west now??? Used to live in Colorado many moons ago and hunted the SW part of the state a few times.
Xplorer

Xplorer-
Thanks for sending the link while I was out.

I put a strip of material along the length of each rib that touches the ground. I fastened them with counter sunk screws from the outside and held on the inside with nuts.

After two trips to the NW angle, two trips to Nestor Falls, and much running around on Ottertail, two strips have failed after two years. Without them, this would have been two holes in my tub. Not bad ptotection for the 18 bucks I spent, LOL.

This stuff cuts easily on a table saw, so of they dont have any strips, you can cut sheet material to size.

Gissert,
Congrats!! They eat really good. My F-I-L got a nice spiker in MT last fall and it was some of the best meat i've ever had. Much better than the older elk meat i've had, and much better than any muley or antelope.
Xplorer