• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Upsizing worked!

Coach1310

We've all read countless articles about downsizing for finicky panish with 1lb line and tiny jigs....well yesterday I upsized and it did the trick. I was using a small marmooska tipped with euros and turning plenty of fish, just nothing nice. I was marking fish from 2 feet to 4 feet off the bottom. The top fish would always bite, but the fish nearest the bottom no go. I switched over to a forage minnow loaded with euros and started landing those deeper fish. The big bonus was they were the nice ones!! Don't forget to try upsizing. If I can make it work, anyone can!

That was the ticket for me as well today. I was pulling in 6" crappies left and right with a crappie minnow and demon glow jig, so I switched up to a jigging spoon with a larger sized fathead and the 12+" ones were all there. Then again the downsizing seemed to work for pike, I pulled one in on the glow jig out of nowhere...grin.gif

On the way to work yesterday morning,I was listening to an outdoors show on a local radio station. I heard a writer from an outdoor newspaper, who is also a fishing guide, say his plan of attack on crappies is to fish deep basins with a jigging spoon.No small jigs with waxies, or maggies,just jigging spoons.Our very own Prostaffer Matt Johnson has told me the same thing about upsizing, so there has to be something to it.I need a paradigm shift,so to speak, on chasing crappies, so way to go posting on this.

Sometimes I go artificials...to date still haven't caught anything on my chubby darter but I did get few nibles on it, but it sure attracted a lot of lookers.

I always go bigger size when avoiding smaller fish. Typically the big ones are below the small ones, but once in a while I get a brave big one that's above all the other ones in the water column.

I had never used my chubby darter till fri night caught a small thern....Saturday morn dropped it down to a line towards the bottom and bam I pulled up a 10" crappie.....thought it was going to be a walleye but a nice surprise!!!