• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Crestliner?

mattrd

I'm looking to get a boat for this summer. I was wondering if anyone can tell me what the average price of a 17ft Fish Hawk is? I do a lot of muskie and bass fishing, so I want something that is geared more towards that. Any info would be great!

Originally Posted By: fishinalot
Check into the Lunds. You may find that they are more set up for fisherman.

I have owned both, and actually, I would disagree completely with this, I fish mostly for Muskies and Bass, and I find that the Crestliner layout is much more casting friendly, the front and rear casting decks are much bigger, and the beam is wider on the Crestliners, which makes the layout much more open. The rear casting deck on the lunds is half the size as the crestliners. Also, and maybe more importantly to me, you can lay your rod down on the front deck or rear deck of your Crestliner and leave it when you take off, you can't do that with a Lund, because the gas tank or some other structure component blocks it. That was always something I hated, so you either put your rod in a locker when you take off, or set it on the floor. If you fished stricly walleyes, and did a lot of trolling and live bait fishing, you may like the setup of the lunds better, but for me, there is no comparison between the two as far as muskie/bass fishing goes.

I have done a lot of muskie casting, walleye trolling, and vertical jigging out of 1750 Fishhawks, and they are one of my favorite boats. I really like the layout, and I think the ride for an aluminum boat is about as good as it gets.

However, I can't help you out at all with your price question.

I bought a 1750 FH in 2005 and looked at the Lunds also and I think that for muskie fishing the Crestliner had a much better layout. If you are looking at new boats you will have two choices now the 1700 FH (same hull as my 2005, slightly stripped down to lower price) or the 1750 FH which is longer, wider and has center rod storage. Climb in both and see what layout you like better.

Matt,

I know you asked about price, and I can't really tell you for sure. Depends on where and when you look. I would guess you're going to be in the low 20's new. Bass-N-Spear could certainly give you something more solid on price.

I fish for everything out of my 1850 FishHawk. I have yet to see a boat laid out better for all species angling than a FishHawk for the price. The FishHawks are wide, stable, and can handle some awfully rough water. And even the tiller models have a good fish platform in the back.

If you're looking at a new boat, consider going with the vinyl floors. I did and will never have carpet again. The dirt that is inevitably tread into your boat either blows out or ends up in the back for easy removal.

they do make some great boats. The nice thing about the crestliner is the decks that they make, where there is alot of room on them. The 1700 is the stripped down 1750, but you loose the rod locker, and you loose some space in the boat itself. The 1750 is a little bit more, but you get so much more. They have the rod locker in the floor, and battery storage under it. Huge storage compartments in the floor on the deck, with 2 livewells, and a cooler in the boat. Can put a double bubble if you wanted to.

I have an 1850 FH with a 135 opti. I bought the boat new without anything on it from the Crystal Pierz online auction last year and have been adding everything piece by piece. I think I have about 18 in it so far but it is set up pretty well. Still need a kicker, and I have been using my vex up front for electronics.

Last year I purchased a 2000 175 sportfish. I have been in a few boats. I have to tell you that after having a windshield I will never go back. Crestliner seems to have thought of everything in these boats. I got really lucky finding the boat I bought. I got it out of south Dakota. The price out of MN seems to be a lot more reasonable. The 175 that I got has everything. 125 two stroke, 9.9 four stroke kicker, 24v bow trolling, and all the electronics. So far I have fished almost all species out of this boat with up to five people in with plenty of room. Big water, little water, it doesn't matter.

As far as price, New Lunds and crestliners are typicaly about the same. Used boats are too. New you are looking in the 20k range with nothing but the motor. I would strongly suggest looking for used. Both boats will hold up for a LONG time. Sorry so long, I love my boats!

I think if you're into musky fishing and bass fishing, it's a real nice platform. I believe the CMV is the same hull as a Fish Hawk. Someone may want to verify that I am thinking about the right boat.

The only problem I see with this boat is getting rid of it somewhere down the line. There has never been a big market for aluminum V-hull bass style boats (jon boat hulls, yes). Alumacraft had the Phantom around for a while, Lund had the Pro-Bass, Crestliner had the CMV, and they all seem to fade. I personally like the idea. Two full decks on a V-hull boat is agreat idea. However, it does limit your fishing and recreation options. Therefore, that style of boat has never really gained much momentum.

There close to the same hull Ray. Crestliner is no longer making this boat anymore. the reason there not making it anymore, is becuase the 1750 and 1850 Fish Hawks have been such a powerful boats, that the CMV was not selling ne more. You have the same platform on these boats as the CMV, and you can run alot more people in them with the cockpit area alot bigger. They were great boats, but if the FH are less money then the CMV, and they have more room for people, and fishing, where its not all deck space, its a no brainer what boat is going to sell more.