• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ranger/ YarCraft/Warrior which one and why??

rodmaker

It was more than just the 2.5". I just did not like the boat. It comes down to personal preference. you like WARRIOR and I like YAR-CRAFT. and I don't think anything is going to change that!

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I like yarcrafts very much also. I think they are and excellent boat. The deciding factor for me was I saved OVER $6000.00. Plus the standards on the Warrior that are options on YC would have costed me another $1000.00 I know the guy well who sells yarcrafts in my area (I do allot of business with him) and he said he could not even come close in cost. Yes I bought at the right time.

Originally Posted By: rodmaker
Here's a trailer question. Advantages/disadvantages on a double axle trailer VS> a single axle??? I see some 20 foot boats with both types of trailers being used.

The advantage of a tandem axle are simple - they're meant for heavier loads (having two axles) and that will create less wear and tear on your trailer and in turn your boat. Disadvantages - slightly more maintenance and they back up a little differently than a single axle - but not a huge deal. When the boat is coming fairly close to the weight of say a 3200# single axle trailer, without a doubt, I'd go to a tandem - especially if you trailer your boat a good distance.

Tandems will pull better and will carry a heavier load better.

Tandems can not be pushed around by hand and cannot be turned by hand - it only goes where your vehicle puts it.

Tandems are more expensive to buy and more expensive to maintain .... more tires, more bearings, etc.

To get around the cost factor, some manufactures have gone with single axle trailers rated to 4500 lbs.

Just purchased a Triton 215x after pondering many of the same questions. When someone is going to spend that kind of money a little research is good. I have found my Triton to be everything I hoped for, encluding quite a bit faster and drier than my buddies Ranger. I think they are all good it's the Ford/Chevy debate. I am not impartial to any of the fiberglass boats. I would love to own one of every kind, but for now it's Triton and if that changes I will post my dislikes. Any other Triton owners out there with a story?

If you have ever had a blowout with a heavy boat and a single axle trailer. you will always pick the double axle on your next boat.

also resale on the double is better. if you get a 20 ft boat go with the double axle

If you are going to pull the thing all over the country doing tournaments then I would get the tandem. but for a 18' boat just pulling it around here. its not worth the extra money.

on a 20' or bigger boat definitely the tandem.

Originally Posted By: mamohr686
My 618T pulls great with a single axle trailer. I wouldn't pay the extra for a tandem, unless the boat is 20ft or longer as stated previously.

ditto

When our group pulls all over the country including our annual trip to texas, we get nailed extra money at the toll-booths for each axle! I hope toll roads stay out of MN, or I would really want a single axle trailer.

Originally Posted By: mr walleye
If you are going to pull the thing all over the country doing tournaments then I would get the tandem. but for a 18' boat just pulling it around here. its not worth the extra money.

on a 20' or bigger boat definitely the tandem.

I don't know everyone's boats but I think Dan and I are the only one's with Rangers, and I don't know of any that have Yarcrafts or Warriors or similar (at least not any of the "regulars" on here).

Most of my fishing (90%) is done on Mille Lacs so I was looking for a big water tiller.

Well, after alot of looking, I finally found my boat. I'm picking it up mid June. I ended up purchasing a 2003 YarCraft 1895 Storm (tiller) with a Merc OptiMax 135 saltwater.

I looked at Rangers. They were very nice, but I thought they seemed a little "cramped" with floor space on the tiller version.

I had a chance to fish out of a YarCraft a couple of times. They have a ton of room in them They have a wider beam 95". I liked the way they handled and all the floor space/storage in them. Two nice rod lockers. One 8 footer and a 9 footer. Two big live wells. I really liked the enclosed/ lockable electronics area (tiller version).

I liked the Warriors also. It pretty came down to the two of them and what I could afford and find. What I did find out that was if they were in good shape, they were gone VERY fast.

If any of you have questions on Warrior and yarCraft, they were great on answering any question that I had. Feel free to contact them. If it's ok to give references from the two operations let me know and I'll give the two people who helped me.

Now it's time tpo purchase electronics. I'm going with the Minn Kota Vector 80 lb thrust trsansom trolling motor.

Thanks

to everyone who posted. I'll post photos, when I have the boat .

It's funny how differant people get differant deals. I was able to get much more boat for the same money by going with Warrior. Sound's like a nice rig though enjoy!

I think you'll like the Vector. I have the same trolling motor on my boat and it has plenty of juice to move the boat around and hold it steady in big winds. The 3X steering makes it easy to maneuver with little arm input too.