• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ranger/ YarCraft/Warrior which one and why??

rodmaker

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rodmaker, beings that you are in the market, did you get to the boat show at all. I am pretty sure you did. Lots of great stuff there, and you could get in most of em and check out all the features.

I kinda ran through there pretty quick, as I had to catch a bus out of downtown, but picked up literature on all of them.

I am looking, but for about 3 to 4 years down the road. I am thinking by then I might be able to get into something, but in the meantime, fishing in as many different styles of boats possible has me pretty well dialed in on my needs. Now it is just the decision of Tiller or Remote. I love tillers like you, because of the wide open fishability, but also like the ease of use with a Remote. If I could swing it, I would buy pretty much an exact copy of what PerchJerker has. After riding in that thing, it is hard to get back into my 14 foot lund with the old 15 on it.

I will probably be buying used at that point, so picking up the literature on all the boats to compare them down to the standard features becomes easier later on. Apples to Apples rather than Pears.

millelacsguy,

You are correct. According to my yarcraft guy the 2090 is just the 1890 extended so it can take a larger motor. And yes the 2090 warrior is 20.6 and a bigger boat that the 2090 YC.

Rodmaker, if you are looking in the 15-20K range I think a 1890BT yarcraft would be a great choice. They are hard to find but worth the looking. I know who has a nice one for 18K but it is a side counsel not a tiller.

My Cousin who guides on Mille Lacs may be selling his 2001. Spotless. He's looking to purchase a new Lund Fiberglass tiller when they come out.

I've been in contact with people @ Warrior last week also.

Si I take, it you are a "thumbs up" on YarCraft???

I talked to the Lund guys at the Mpls boat show and asked them about a Lund Glass tiller and they said there wasn't one planned at this point. They said they are having a hard enough time meeting demand of the glass models they have out right now, in terms of getting ramped up for production. I for one would be interested in seeing another glass tiller manufacturer in the market place. Competition is good.

Dan Jochum

NPAA #269

Originally Posted By: rodmaker
That will work. I'm probably looking for something used 5-6 yrs old. Price range $15,000 - $19,000.

if you hear of something contact me.

it may be tough to get a newer glass boat in that range. I have a 97 skeeter 1850 in great condition that I am thinking about selling this year. I will be asking about 15K without acessories and about 18K with them. I will buy another skeeter, since I think they are one of the better boats out there for the price. I will not pay another 5K for the ranger name.

I spoke with Ted Takasaki, and Mike Howard at the show. Ted & Mike said that Lund is being pressed VERY hard for a tiller and it would probably come out late fall, maybe a little earlier.

He said the layout would be just like the pro V's now.

That's interesting. I talked to Perry Good and Kurt Kainz who said there was nothing in the works as of right now. It would sure make sense that they come out with something seeing that Mercury is going to have a monopoly on the large tiller motor market (150 HP and up) with them buying the design and patent from Mertens for the hydraulic tiller steering that is now being used in conjunction with the new Merc tiller handle. I know some of the Lund pros would like to see a large glass tiller boat.

Dan Jochum

NPAA #269

Sounds like everyone is hearing different things.Like I mentioned, Ted wouldn't commit to a date but said they are being pushed pretty hard.

I don't doubt what you said. It would make since for Lund to come out with a tiller glass boat.

Great post going on here, not trying to turn it into a Lund post either but the rep from the show also noted to me that there is another model going to be released late summer early fall, didn't have much other details on it, so who knows,

Anyway this post has got some great info on it, probably have to mark this one somehow for future reference, it seems that most guys on here are preferring the tiller, so know that's got me thinking.

There was a post last fall on tillers vs consoles. It was very interesting. What do you have for a boat now???

I know I'll print this post out soon and read over and over. Great points and they will help on choosing a boat.

Right now , I think I'm leaning towards a YarCraft or Warrior. Haven't seen much on Skeeters, I know they have a great hull!!!!

Originally Posted By: Bigeye30"
Great post going on here, not trying to turn it into a Lund post either but the rep from the show also noted to me that there is another model going to be released late summer early fall, didn't have much other details on it, so who knows,

Anyway this post has got some great info on it, probably have to mark this one somehow for future reference, it seems that most guys on here are preferring the tiller, so know that's got me thinking.

Maybe he was referring to the glass Pro-V. There is a mention of it on the LUND HSOforum but not much more info than that yet. I also have heard that there isn't any plans for a glass Lund tiller at this time.

I own a Tuffy Osprey and this is my first glass boat. It is 17' 6 in. 150 Optimax on the back. Evrything is 2006. Great boat for multi-species. Takes on the big water well. Full walk-thru windsheild is awesome. A lot of deck space. 15 rod locker. 52 in. livewell. I bought it new, although it was 1 year old, showroom boat. I was set up new with all warranties for around 25K Used Tuffy boats can be had only 2-4 years old for much less and well rigged. I am amazed at the value one gets in a glass boat from Tuffy vs. other glass boats. The ride is much like that of a skeeter/Ranger/Yarcraft/warrior. Smooth and Dry.

Jiggin, You pointed out all the reasons to buy a Tuffy, and the one reason why not to buy a Tuffy. They do make a great boat at a really reasonable price, but the problem with them is if you plan to upgrade in the future, the resale value is hit or miss. If you find someone dead-set on buying a used Tuffy, you have hit it right, but they don't quite compare to a Ranger or Warrior for resale. All the options you have on your boat though, at that price does make it a good contender if you are looking. I always have my eyes and ears open to the chance to experience a ride in a different boat, just to see how they feel and handle in varying conditions.

I agree 100%. Marv Koep's guides back in the 80's ran Tuffy Tillers.

What I (and it's been awhile) didn't like about the Tuffy tillers is there wasn't much floor space width. Things were pretty boxed in. Are they still that way??

Rodmaker,I have a 2004 yar-craft 1895tsc single counsel with 2005 225 opti they are great boats and ride wonderful.I will be selling mine soon also.Fully loaded and ready to fish.I also fished in a Ranger 619 and they are very nice riding boats also.

My apologies for the late reply, I run an older 1775 Pro-V, the boat was purchased for the family with more consideration into fishing, since the times have changed, and fishing is my key objective, I've been really looking at the differences, just have'nt fished a tiller much, everyone seems to like em though.

The rep at the show did not have any other info on what type of glass boat lund is coming out with, just that he was expecting another model besides the three already available, late summer early fall, guess we'll have to keep watching,