• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Which portable shelter to buy?

I sure like my Otter II ! I haven't been dissapointed yet. I have the runners which makes it easier to pull by hand and I don't even know it's there when I pull it with my snowmobile ! Compared to most it is so easy to set up,which makes it easy to follow the fish around ! Otter is a hard act to follow ! Yes they are a little spendy, but you get what you pay for. I have had many portables, But Otter sure fills the bill for me ! Just my nickles worth !
Come on Ice !!!!!!!!!!!
Rich (Smitty)
Pro Saff Director
Catch-N Tackle
Bio-Bait

[This message has been edited by Richard Smith (edited 08-22-2003).]

I agree with Rick, the Glacier 3 is definately worth a look. There was not 1 lake I fish that I took my atv out on last year, just not enough ice. My G3 was the shelter of choice anytime I went with someone else. VERY light, hauls a lot of gear, sets up fast. Just not easy to set up with 1 guy in the wind. It could also use a little more window. For the money, I dont think you'll find more house, but there are definately more specific 1 person rigs out there.

------------------
Mike
Kalispell, MT
<<><<
"LOOK ALIVE, MAGGOT!"
(Not you Pal, I was talking to my bait)

Otter is tough to beat. I ordered a Glacier but it was too light weight and small for me. The tubs are shallow and light weight. Not a good option to pull behind a sled or ATV. Good if you walk and pull. Frabil has some nice options and the Flip style clams are getting better.

I'm very excited to try out the new Glacier 3 this winter! It doesn't have a thick, heavy tub-- and may not be built for long hauls behind a sled or wheeler... but for anyone wanting a nice, roomy house that is easy to pull and lift in and out of a vehicle... this portable is IDEAL! I just had mine set up in the garage, and love the doors on each end. Also like the black canvas and the window seems very durable. Now all I need is some ICE!!!

Duck-o-holic

I have a Fish Trap Pro and love it!Sets up quick.Very spacious for 1 person,even fished 2 people in it when it got really cold and that was not bad.Comes with a seat which, I didnt find very comfortable, so I swapped it for a new one.no biggie.The front door is nice so you can pack the sides in on windy days.Rod storage under the seat rail.Really nice tub,plenty of room. Ice Armor canvas is durable,wind,water proof.Ice build-up falls right off.Travel cover made of the same material.USL has The BEST customer service I have ever dealt with!

Oh-yeah,it fits perfect in the back of an S10 Blazer without having to drop the rear seat smile.gif

Pay attention to the options/details that you want and possible upgrades you can make. A new tent is a fairly big purchase, depending on what size you get(can be a big one grin.gif)So make sure you get exactly what you want the first time.Trust me smile.gifYou have plenty of time to shop around.

IceC

------------------
Have an Ice day :)

WEll have just purchest a voager trap. 3 person modal and i love it, it is purrfect for 2 people.

I did have to make one modification I use a sunflower heater so I made a fold up floor and have the holes on the side.

It worked fine with out it but when it came time to fold up shop the water on the ice made it dam slik and the floor will fix that and it helps the keep your feet a little warmer.

I've owned an Otter Skin shelter for two seasons now, and think it is hands down the best setup there is. It mounts to the Otter sled, but folds out on both sides. My shelter is 6'x12', but they are available in bigger or smaller models. When packed up, it is the same size as the Otter, but when set up fishes four adults very comfortably. To me, having this much room, and ease of set up , puts all other shelters to shame.