• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Computer monitors

What does everyone use for a PC monitor? I inherited a 5 yr. old Gateway that needed reformatting. I just added 512 megs of memory, but the monitor has just about bit the dust. I have to give it a slap now and then to keep it in line.

I've read that unless you have a lot of money to fork out. the LCD monitors just do not have the capabilities for photo editing like the CRT monitors. As far as features, I've read that anything at or above 600:1 contrast ratio is good. Another site says for photos, you should have 1000:1. I've already decided against wide screen. One brand that gets pretty good reviews is Samsung. However, just like everything else, they are now made in China.

Any tips or recommendations?

X I use a Samsung 19" LCD, not a wide screen about a year and a half old. I used a View Sonic 17" LCD prior to that and a 19"CRT prior to that. I don't recall off hand the contrast ratio on this monitor but I've been happy with it. Sure is a lot less space than the old CRT.

I had to laugh when you mentioned the slapping of your monitor, my old one had the same problem. As far as editing I do calibrate the monitor which I think is a bit more critical with an LCD. The CRT's you could use the Adobe Gamma to calibrate reasonably well but that doesn't work at all on LCD's. Getting an LCD that actually shows all the shades at the white end and getting blacks that are black seem to be the big issues.

I do a lot of print sales with this monitor using the profile of the specific printer to soft proof and my results have been right on with the printed product, so something must be working correct.

I actually have a 26" LCD TV that sits above my desk and I have that set as a second monitor. Works well for working with many photos such as sorting and culling, but I only edit on my computer LCD. I bought Samsung because of the reviews as well, would likely buy another.

X, I have an NEC and a Dell. Not well up on the techy numbers. They're actually 2 and 3 years old, and I don't really remember the specifics that well. One's a 17 inch and the other is a 19. Probably will look for one a little bigger the next go around, and will have to start my homework again.

Sorry for the delay X, here are my specs.

700:1 contrast ratio, 300 cd/m2 brightness, 1280 x 1024 resolution.

As far as calibration I use a Pantone Huey, adjusts for room light along with self calibration set to your schedule. The Gretag Macbeth Eye-One Display 2 is maybe a better calibration unit but I have had the Huey for a few years now with no issues. A Huey will be around $80-100 and the Eye One around $230.

Have had my Acer(x221w) LCD 22" for about 6 months now,replaced my old Dell(sony) CRT 21"...the crt was sharp and clear,probably a bit sharper then my Lcd but still pretty good...wide screen took some getting used to but has performed flawlessly...a great monitor all in all...great color for photos...

native resolution: 1680 x 1,050

response time: 5ms

image contrast ratio: 800.1

I have ViewSonic monitors. It's harder to color correct with a bad monitor but it can be done. The expert I learned from always said, "the numbers don't lie." That means keeping your info pallet open using your eyedropper or selection tool to take readings so that you can see what affect your changes make on the RGB or CMYK profiles.