• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I know I'm new to this whole forum thing, and I'd like to have fun in SE South Dakota lakes. I don't think the fishing here is that big of a secret...so lets hear it!

I'll start off by saying I'm plannin on heading out early next week to 81 sloughs, hopin to get into some perch. It's suppose to start warming here so hopefully the fish will quit the lockjaw.

i agree this SD forum has really been quiet lately.

i get out alot on the weeknights after work for some quick trips, I usually fish wall or alvin.

im going to thompson this weekend and plan on fishing all of saturday and late into the evening.

other times when i dont want to drive far i will go to lakota, brandt, and madison

let us know how you do

fished thompson with not a lot of luck, fished in 16-18 fow starting at 2pm didnt mark or see anything, moved to another spot same results, move shallower to about 10 fow just before dark, started seeing lots of fish but they all were tight lipped,

I was fishing a chubby darter and they would come in on the fall and I would take the bait up and have them follow it once or twice but no takers, trieds lots of different tactics with no luck, seems like they are attracted to the fall of the darter but nothing else

not much going on unless you have a snowmobile. if not your not getting on the lakes or if do you find access your not gonna get far with out a sled.

we just got anywhere from 5-8 inches of snow in SE SD and it was a very light snow. the winds are blowing like crazy from the north as I type this and its going to make things even worse.

I wish I had a better report but that pretty much sums up the last month or so of fishing for most the lakes around here.

Wait for the next warm spell and bring your boat! Have been doing quite well below Gavin's Point dam all winter. Should only get better all the way to spring. It's usually bumper boats, but everyone is pretty laid back and respectful.

Here's a weekly report out of Watertown that covers most of the main lakes around Brookings. I've Had my best luck for eyes/perch on Sinaii. 81 ponds can produce also. I've never had much success on Oakwood...especially in winter. If you want to drive a bit further you could go to Poinsett which is about 35 mi. southeast of Brookings. I haven't fished this area for 20 years, but keep in touch with relatives who fish. Best bet is to find a bait shop and pick their heads. Good luck.

SD fishing

All lakes are good for driving if you have 4 wheel drive and use common sense.

For perch, fish the basin areas of the lakes. Drill a lot of holes and cover a lot of ground and you will eventually find them. Staying on them can be as hard as finding them.

For walleye, fish the prime times on any good looking walleye structure. Fishing has been very spotty, one day you will get into them pretty good, the next day struggle. Daytime bite for walleye is pretty much non-existant, the lakes are really clear.

If you are looking for good action, go to Poinsett, drill a hole anywhere on the lake and put out a tip-up. Catching pike on that lake is honestly that simple.

Correction: Poinsett is northwest of Brookings. blush

Creepworm, Does Goldsmith ever give up anything? I enjoyed fishing it as it was so close to Brookings and used to have a good northern & perch population. I saw the GFP stocked some walleye there. Did that take?

Goldsmith has been hit or miss, much like brush, 81, sinai, and a few others lately. Guys that put in the time during the cold were getting some fish, but there hasn't been many guys out since last weekend.

Most of the fishing pressure has been a little further west or north; thompson, whitewood, spirit, etc.

looks like the other guys got you covered my only word of caution would be careful on Sinaii as its got some areas that typically don't freeze very thick.

Also be careful on Thompson and stay on the main lake. If you are driving on any channels to Schaefer's slough or Henry your going to get wet.

I don't have any reports only been out on Alvin a few times with my kids. If I had to pick a lake to fish my vote right now would be for Poinsett. Not because its on or fish are hot, but you have a good chance to tie into multiple species there any time.

Always enjoy reports from eastern SD as many of the lakes were only sloughs during my time there. I walked across Thompson, Henry and Preston many times looking for pheasants. Those three went from being sloughs to lakes in one 36hour (16 inch rainfall). 81 ponds offered great duck/pheasant shooting. Laid in the ditch next to Brush Lake a few times for a little pass shooting over highway 14. My bride is finally willing to retire, so I hope to spend a couple weeks fishing the "sloughs" I remember between Watertown & Brookings.

Correction: Poinsett is northwest of Brookings. blush

Creepworm, Does Goldsmith ever give up anything? I enjoyed fishing it as it was so close to Brookings and used to have a good northern & perch population. I saw the GFP stocked some walleye there. Did that take?

I have gotten a few pike, small perch, whitebass, and walleye out of Goldsmith. The walleye I catch are generally under 12 inches or over 24 inches, but other people seem to get eaters from time to time.

Always enjoy reports from eastern SD as many of the lakes were only sloughs during my time there. I walked across Thompson, Henry and Preston many times looking for pheasants. Those three went from being sloughs to lakes in one 36hour (16 inch rainfall). 81 ponds offered great duck/pheasant shooting. Laid in the ditch next to Brush Lake a few times for a little pass shooting over highway 14. My bride is finally willing to retire, so I hope to spend a couple weeks fishing the "sloughs" I remember between Watertown & Brookings.

I always wish I was here to watch the deluge and growth of the area lakes. It is sad for the people that lost their land and homes, but it made for some great fishing.

I have a friend whose family lived on the south side of Whitewood. The watershed flows from Whitewood through Preston through Henry into Thompson. She told of area residents driving & parking on hilltops watching the lakes fill one by one. There were some nasty arguments until the tax assessors caught up with the new topography since flooded homesteads were still being taxed as residences; lake bottom was being taxed as valuable farmland, farm machinery that was now underwater "structure" was still taxed as personal property, etc. A family friend who lived three miles from town had to drive 22 (one way) miles to take his kids to school.