• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Getting Enlargements printed.

Depends on how large you are talking Paul. If you are looking at poster size, 20x30 or larger I use Elco Labs they are located in NJ, do the usual search to find them. My commercial work is all done at White House Custom Color, located in St. Paul also do the usual search. Excellent prints and fast service. If I need something in an hour or so I usually use a local Ritz.

Most independently owned camera shops will be able to print up to 18 inches wide. I've had large (the size of a door) digital output done at Mustang Graphics in Sauk Rapids. Excellent quality and reasonable prices.

I've used White House Custom Color in St. Paul the last couple years for everything from 3x5 up to 20x30 (they go bigger but I haven't needed anything bigger yet.) You can google them. You start by sending them three test images that they print and ship back for free so you can calibrate your monitor, and you can download printer profiles off their site.

You transmit files to them electronically, and they simply debit the credit/debit card you put on file with them. Clean and easy once it's set up. They offer prints in many different options, including mountings, as well as cards and books and much else.

I've been perfectly happy with the quality. They charge about $2 for an 8x10, and will ship free on orders $12 or over. That's two-day shipping anywhere in the US.

Other major international labs, such as the one Dan mentioned and others that others probably will mention, do things in similar ways and certainly are just as good as White House. I simply highlight WHCC because I've been completely satisfied with everything about their products, as have my clients. I also like the idea of doing business with someone of that high rep so close to me. Often, if I get an order in first thing in the morning, it's on my doorstep by the next day. That occasionally matters a lot when a client wants something lickety-split.

I'd been printing my own work for the first couple of years but found that with the great quality and low prices and fast shipping available from these labs, compared with all my time spent printing (and maintaining the stupid printer) and the cost of the printer, paper and ink, it was more cost and time effective to farm it all out. The only thing I print at home now is the occasional greeting card.

Quote:
I'd been printing my own work for the first couple of years but found that with the great quality and low prices and fast shipping available from these labs, compared with all my time spent printing (and maintaining the stupid printer) and the cost of the printer, paper and ink, it was more cost and time effective to farm it all out.

Amen!

I, too have used WHCC and have been very pleased with them. Good customer service as well.

I have been using MPIX. I have been satisfied with the quality and service they offer. Since I have been using them, I had one quality issue. I emailed customer service and described the problem and they shipped a replacement next day air...no questions asked. That was above and beyond what I expected. I have also looked into WHCC and have heard great things about that company, but have had no reason to make the switch.

Originally Posted By: WCS
but have had no reason to make the switch.

Exactly. There are so many top quality labs out there that take images electronically that once you find a good one there's little reason to experiment. And you don't need to be a pro to be a client at these labs. Their clients range from pros to weekend hobbyists to the occasional casual digital snapshooter, and everywhere in between.

The lone exception to White House in my case would be if I wanted a truly giant enlargement on some type of exotic paper, and I hear West Coast Imaging is tops for that type of thing. I've also acquired my own top-quality drum scanner (my graphic artist wife is an expert on this machine), so I can scan my old slide library as well as other photographers' 35mm, medium and large format negs and transparencies into files that can be printed very large. In cases such as that, West Coast Imaging is where I'd go and recommend for printing, based on experience from other pros.

I have one slide image in particular I'd like to have printed as a panorama 4 feet across. One of these days . . . . grin.gifgrin.gif

But, even that being said, no doubt there are other specialty print labs that do work just as well as West Coast. Sorry about spilling all these words out all over the place. But it's a wide open playing field, isn't it, and I just get excited over all that convenient quality and competition. It benefits us all. grin.gifgrin.gif