• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

SIK vs. SOT kayaks

I'm looking at a new kayak this spring to mainly be used on smaller fishing portage lakes. How do sit-in kayaks compare to sit-on-top in regards to fishability, speed, comfort and stability? Looking for any tips or info..thanks for any help!

Sit on Top all the way. I Kayak fish and these are the way to go. Check out Crow Wing kayaks out of Brainard, they are awesome!!!! There is nothing better than kayak fishing, it is so cool. I've got mine all deck out.

The Crow Wing yaks come with 3 built in rod holders and another one to mount anywhere. They are designed as a fishing kayak.

I brought my Wilderness Systems SOT "Ride" up from Texas to SW MN. It is pontoon-style 13.5' with rudder; rod holder mounts, etc. We strap on a plastic milk carton to carry miscellaneous gear. For fishing lakes and bays, I beleive the SOT is the only way to go and is the preferred yak fishing vessel by far - for more information, check out texaskayakfishing.com.

My yak fishing partner has a Heritage "Redfish". It is also a popular model targeted at the fishing community. He also bought a high-end SIT sea kayak for goofing off and really likes it for long-haul cruising - definitely not for fishing.

He fishes to kayak - I kayak to fish...

I dont like getting wet and like fishing very early and very late in the season when water gets me very cold when splashed

So i have a pair of 12 year old old town loon twos

These were designed for two persons but in on I unbolted the front seat and added under the apron [bow]rod holders and behind the seat which is slidable I can stor clothing cooler and tackle box etc.

Best part is that except for clothing I can leave gear in as I haul it on roof of my old Suburban.

Also installed two round hooks with 5 feet of roap on front and back for quick and easy tie downs and releases

Very stable but kinda heavy and you can get on your knees or on top of cooler for more fishability

I agree, I love Sit On Tops for most of the year, and for most fishing situations. You can carry a lot of gear, and manuver and move around a lot more than when you sit inside the kayak.

You can carry more stuff, and fish out of it a lot better. Also, there are more options for a fish finder. And it is nice to be able to leave your pliers out etc.

They tend to be very stable boats, designed for fishing for the most part.

I hear a lot of good things about the Redfish, Tarpon, Malibu, and Hobie.

The only downside is that they tend to be a little wetter, and you can get some splash and waves. Not a big deal most of the time, but cold in the fall and spring.

Also, as they are designed for fishing they tend not to be as fast, or track as true as a comparable Sit in kayak. Not always true, but they tend to plow water a little more and make it a bear to paddle for miles and miles. Not so much an issue on the lakes around here (and that you want to take it out on), but something to be aware of.

I am also going to be getting a new kayak this spring for fishing. I am looking only and Sit on Tops as they are so much more functional for fishing.

Thanks for the replies! Is there a kayak dealer in Minnesota? It'd be nice to go somewhere that focuses on 'yaks. I'm almost 100% decided on going with the OK Prowler 13', anyone paddling one of those?

There are several. Gander Mountain, Cabelas, Reed's in Walker might, Scheel's might, REI carries many brands and usually has very helpful staff. I would recommend trying a boat out on the water before you buy though. Good Luck

I see that you're from Warroad, so I'm not too sure where you would go to check out kayaks other than heading to Ely. If you're down in the cities than there are several places in the metro to check them out. REI and Midwest Mountaineering are great choices. They have a large selection and very knowledgeable staff.

I fish small waters and rivers,Creeks.I have a sitin 9'6" the longer are tough to turn around on small water.it weighs under 40 lbs.(cant remember the weight)but a strap goes around each end then over your shoulder for carrying.email me and I'll let ya know how to get one for under $300.00 shipping is bout $100.00 and its a great yak,beats the Otters 10Xs over!!

A spray skirt is 40 extra and really helps when its wet and cool

Originally Posted By: fishingfrenzy
Thanks for the replies! Is there a kayak dealer in Minnesota? It'd be nice to go somewhere that focuses on 'yaks. I'm almost 100% decided on going with the OK Prowler 13', anyone paddling one of those?

Crow Wing Kayaks - they're out of Brainard. I have there new model and love, like I said in my previouse post, they are specificly designed for fishing!

Originally Posted By: sparcebag
I fish small waters and rivers,Creeks.I have a sitin 9'6" the longer are tough to turn around on small water.it weighs under 40 lbs.(cant remember the weight)but a strap goes around each end then over your shoulder for carrying.email me and I'll let ya know how to get one for under $300.00 shipping is bout $100.00 and its a great yak,beats the Otters 10Xs over!!

A spray skirt is 40 extra and really helps when its wet and cool

I didn't see your email address. I'd like to know more about your light weight fishing rig. Please contact me at [email protected]

Thanx