• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

An interesting problem

Eric Wettschreck

I'm having a problem with my wheeler I just don't understand and I'm hoping maybe yous guys can help out.

2000 Yamaha Big Bear 400.

I wouldn't start. All I got was a clicking sound from the starter relay. I checked the battery, 12.5 volts. I jumped the relay, nothing. I ran a ground wire direct from the battery to the base of the starter and ran a hot wire from the battery direct to the wire post of the starter, still nothing.

I removed the starter and put it in the vise. Ran a ground to the starter motor base, and a hot wire to the wiring post on the starter motor, nothing. Tap the starter motor and it kind of wants to spin but with no real umph.

I bought a new starter from a reputable distributer. At the same time I installed a new battery just cuz it's 7 years old.

Installed battery and starter, turned the key and pressed the start button. The starter motor spun, kinda, for aboot 3 seconds, then the same familiar click from the relay. So, since I'm now a pro at removing this starter I took it back out and wired it direct on the bench, nothing. I give it a tap, even spin the gears by hand and nothing.

I realize I may have recieved a faulty starter motor. Hey, once in a blue moon it happens. My question is, is there something I'm missing??? Could there be something in the wheeler itself that could be damaging the starter motor?

Either way this starter is no good and I'm really hoping the distributer will replace it cuz, dang, it's $122 and that's a lot of money.

Ideas???? Anyone????

There isn't any shrug shoulder's gremlin so you'll have to take my word for it that that is what I'm doing.

After replacing the starter and it still didn't work my next thought would have been the battery not capable of delivering the current but since you also replaced the battery....? Starter relay perhaps but you've pretty much ruled it out by bypassing it. About the only other thing I can think of would be a poor ground connection between your battery and the engine block. A starter needs a really good ground to carry the current. I assume you cleaned up the battery cable terminal clamps when you replaced the battery. Maybe check your battery wires themselves and the connections on both ends for integrity.

Bob

Shrug shoulders gremlin. Bob, that's a good one.

Ok, so I just got in from the garage. I put the starter motor in the vice and using #6 wire and spade connectors, I connected it to a car battery. It barely spun. It spun so slow I grabbed the gear end and it stopped.

I know this starter motor is bad. I just wonder if my wheeler is doing something to toast it.

I have heard of alot of bad starter problems with many different atv brands out of the box. I seen on a differnt board, that they dont even buy new ones anymore, only rebuilds them their selfs.