• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sax-Zim Results

mcary

Here are the results from what turned out to be a pretty slow day at Sax-Zim bog. I have to thank Jonny_Redhorse for all the work he put into the outing and for leading the trip. Most of the results are due directly to his effort. Here are the suspects from the trip:

Jonny and his digiscope setup

mg3704copyqn6.jpg

Finnbay and his his big 300mm

mg3648copyqu1.jpg

The infamous Catfish

mg3647copyqg9.jpg

X-tackleman

mg3636copypl5.jpg

And a few of the results:

mg3606copyyf5.jpg

mg3614copyxw7.jpg

mg3649copyod3.jpg

mg3676copylg1.jpg

I'm downloading about 2 Gb of images, most a lot like mcary's. But Ken, Jonny and I saw and photographed a northern hawk owl at last light on the way home, ramping up iso to get usable shots. At one point, a shrike dive-bombed the owl and I got a couple frames of that, but I'm not sure yet if they are OK. Shutter speed was right for a sitting owl but possibly too slow for the action. They looked borderline on the LCD.

It was a fun day and a great chance to get to know some neat and generous FMers. Thanks for the good outing, guys! And mcary, keep that weasel in check! grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

You've gotta be kidding me! Drive around "the bog" all day and the second I turn south for Duluth - you "Northern Minnesota" bums run into a hawk owl. confused.gif In reality, glad to hear you found something cool in the end. I had great day - it was nice meeting all of you. I look forward to planning some future outings. smile.gif

Glad to hear you guys had a good day. I'm sure it would have been nice if you'd have gotten a few more shots but it sounds like you all had fun. Just think, you guys are sitting at your computers playing and poor XT is probably still on the road. shocked.gif

Thanks for sharing. Can't wait to see more.

Great shots Mike - great exposures on a tough day to get it right! I'm downloading some stuff now. If anything turns out I'll post one or two. Had a great time. Really enjoyed meeting everyone. Thanks for the tour Jonny! smile.gif

Here's what I got, guys. Isos from 400 to 800, f5.6 to f8, ss from 1/60 to 1/400, all handheld, fill flash from 430EX set on manual mode full strength for nothern hawk owl

Mr. Redhorse breaks in the digiscope

jonny.jpg

mcary (left) and x-tackleman don't see death lurking behind them! grin.gifgrin.gif

two-photogs.jpg

three amigos (finnbay on right)

three-amigos-1.jpg

constant companions

tight-chickadee.jpg

pine grosbeak huddles for warmth

grosbeak-spruce.jpg

female redpoll wonders what's up

best-redpoll.jpg

male downy woodpecker checks out the scene

downy-stump.jpg

northern hawk owl poses

NHO-perches.jpg

hawk owl missed by the bombing shrike (sorry for poor quality)

attacked.jpg

shrike flees the scene

attacked2.jpg

nearly 200 cars to interrupt Jonny's shoot

CN-train.jpg

a friendly wave

CN-wave.jpg

Well, I drug my butt into town at 9:30 this evening, after 689 miles and $160 in cash. But, it was well worth it. Hell, that's only $40 for each new buddy I found. grin.gif I can't believe you bums actually came across the ever elusive owl. tongue.gif You guys got nice pics of it too, for proof. I'll check my card tomorrow to see if I got anything worth showing. If you don't hear from me for awhile, you'll know why. grin.gif Believe it or not, I'm a bit tired. wink.gif Anyway, it was a great time with a great bunch of great guys, including an awesome and generous guide.

Great looking shots guys! All were very nice, except for that very first one Finnbay put up. I don't know why you'd waste a shutter actuation on that hideous thing. Had a great time and Steve, it seems I'm not the only one that was holding out when it comes to notifying other members of impending traffic related doom. Looking forward to the next outing already. wink.gif

Thanks, Jonny. The goal, as always, is to produce shots with enough quality to sell them as prints or to publications. But I was set up for a sitting bird and didn't have time to ramp iso up even more and open aperture all the way. That's OK with me, though. The shooting light was nearly gone, and it was nice to actually get a cool behavioral capture, regardless of quality. The first attack shot is the first image in the burst, and the second one was the second image in the burst. As is typical, the first image shows the owl a bit blurry because at low shutter speed it's extremely difficult to trigger the camera without at least a little shake, while things steady down a bit as the burst progresses.

It all just happened too fast for my reflexes in that low light! frown.gif

I want to thank you again for all your prep work and for being our guide, Jonny. It was a great day.

I'm thinking we could plan another HSO/FM get-together during early June wildflower season, when there are thousands of subjects that don't run or fly away when we approach. Lots more chances to chat, learn and teach in that setting, not to mention it's warmer. grin.gif

After we guys split up, I stopped back at the Rocket Saloon and Cafe to grab a burger. Unfortunately, the kitchen closed at 2:00. However, the bar was packed. I see now what everyone around Meadowlands does for excitement. I'm not used to skipping a meal, but ended up waiting until I got to Mora at 6:00. I was famished.

Then, I wake up this morning to 7 degrees and -12 wind chill. I checked the conditions up at Hibbing and it was 12 degrees with no wind. What's up with that? confused.gif

Anyway, here are a few of my shots, some good, some not. Whatever, it was a memorable experience.

Here is the caravan of bird brains, er bird photographers.

2152416380_b27ca22efc_o.jpg

I think they're talking about me.

2152385054_929e796630_o.jpg

Don't worry about me Ken, I'm coming.

2152384842_320f6e052b_o.jpg

Yep, there's carnivores in these woods.

2151592495_889c0274a1_o.jpg

A miniature carnivore.

2152415760_4a0614c520_o.jpg

His larger cousin.

2152415898_f6ff27ea0f_o.jpg

The infamous chickadee.

2151624537_7ae6eb3ef3_o.jpg

The pine siskin that needed digiscoping. grin.gif

2151623903_87b4b955a0_o.jpg

A couple underexposed redpolls. Some people need think before they talk, I need to think before I shoot. smirk.gif

2151624007_2d1cdcd60f_o.jpg

2152415306_4497c54652_o.jpg

Can't beat the scenery.

2151624377_16d58e36db_o.jpg

What a happy looking gang. grin.gif

2151624835_107194cab1_o.jpg