• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Which air rifle?

Bandit

I am going to pick up a high power [1000-1200fps] air rifle for some friendly [unless he wins]competition with my son on Gamo's moving deer target. I want the most accuate one I can get. From what I see, Gamo, Remington [Crossman], Beeman, and RWS all make them. Any opinions on which is best?

I have the Gamo Hunter love it although with the scope its quick jerk kick will move the scope,it has a bumper on it for this it does'nt seem to work as well as REALLY crankin some tourque on scope mount.

I had a crossman,used pretty heavily it lost power!! Gamo has'nt.

Buddy has a remington mine shoots more consitantly accruate,however I believe the ammo makes a BIG difference I have RWS ammo made in Germany (Cabelas)that is more consitant than some 177s made in china.

I also have one from the local traveling tool vender(Cummings)it was $20.00 other than heavy,military style front sight (BAD 1 inch tall)that I removed,and hard to seat pellel in breech,its REALLY good for the price and as accruate as any with the exception of Gamo.

Thanks Sparcebag. I was leaning towards a Gamo. Would it be possible to put a better scope/mount system on it? From what I have read, shot inconsistancy is a problem, but it sounds like the scope slipping and or crosshairs breaking is the culprit. Spending 2 or 3 hundred bucks on something that won't shoot straight would suck.

I took the scope off the Gamo and put it on my Chinese 177.I like open sights anyway but messing with it was mostly my reason,I now have a cheap laser sight I'll be installing.I also had a red dot scope on it it was ok,but like I said open sights are by favorite.

I found the round head pellets to be most accurate in both Gamo & chinese.

The scope that came with it seems to be pretty good quality and it could be made stable by REALLY tightening mount.And I dont know if its me and I never bench shot it but at 20 yds I have about 1 inch pattern never all in the black.

I have the winchester 1000 and the rest of my buddies have gamo's, mine has a pretty heavy trigger but still fun to shoot, yes you will really have to crank down the rings because you will get creep on the scope, alot of force on those little rings, but a blast to shoot, I found some gamo rocket pellets by far the best form and consistency they will drive tacks.

I had the Remmington and found it to have less power than the Gamos and not very accurate. The scopes for air rifles are made different than regular scopes because of the direction of the recoil and I've read that a air rifle will tear a regular scope apart. HTB

There is a really good site to find out whats best for air rifles

I chose the Daisy Powerline 1000 .17

I shoot just like a 22!

10 yards 10 shots are with in a dime!

you can get this rig for under a hundred dollars

I shot mine over 500 times

no scope issues be sure to use thread loc on the screws.

read the reviews, decide for yourself!

go here http://www.reviewcentre.com/review221850.html

good luck and stay warm!

Fins