• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sax-Zim Bog shoot roll-call please

Hey all:

With the site in the process of upgrading and some stickied posts being temporarily lost, I thought I'd get this back up here and ask for a final roll call of folks who are going to participate in the Sax-Zim Bog shoot on Sunday, Dec. 30, between Virginia and Duluth.

It sounded like the consensus was that meeting for breakfast/coffee at one of the restaurants near the Bog at 7 a.m. was a good idea, so we can say howdy and meet and talk a bit before sunrise. Shooting light starts at 8 a.m. at the earliest, running to about 4 p.m. at most (better on sunny than cloudy days, of course).

As you know, legendary Bogtrotter Jonny Redhorse will show us some likely locations for boreal chickadees and black-billed magpies, among other birds. It will be nice to learn those locations, though this gathering is more a matter of sharing time with fellow HSO/FM photographers and teaching/learning a bit than it is a location shoot to get priceless images of uncommon birds.

So, Jonny, you had mentioned two different restaurant possibilities previously. Why don't you just pick one and we'll all meet there at 7 a.m. on Sunday, Dec. 30?

And please, everyone who is coming, sound off the roll so we know how many will be there. Depending on vehicle sizes and number of shooters, we'll likely want to limit things to two or three shooters per vehicle.

between the 2 restaurants ,I figured maybe the Rocket cafe in Meadowlands since it's right on the very edge of the bog itself...the sharptail area is only a mile or so north from meadowlands itself and all the other various birding roads are also relatively close...the cafe is right in the center of Meadowlands and one can't really miss it grin.gif(hwy 133)

...it's actually rated as one of minnesota's better restaurants(they say shocked.gif. grin.gif)...here's a site and map info of the "the Rocket"...see everyone at 7:00 smile.gif

http://www.restaurantica.com/restaurants/234023/

Count me in!! Just as a side note there have been some Northern Hawk Owl sightings in the bog. Anyone have any meadow voles handy. wink.gif I'm in for whichever restaurant you all decide, just let me know when and where. See you all next Sunday.

Lol!...the other option is and was ...cotton....2 little cafes that catch the tourists as they head north to the lake country...they had "no" reviews! shocked.gif....maybe they should be on that food channel show...."DINERS AND DIVES" with the spikedhaired,blond headed guy that looks like he put his fingers in a 220 volt light socket grin.gif

Steve, keep my boots warm. I'm coming to get them. smile.gif I just got a rebate check for $200 from my credit card company. I use my credit card a lot, pay it off monthly, and reap the benefits. wink.gif I also just sold my underwater camera that I never use, because I don't ice fish. I've got the money and the drive.

I decided that I would feel real bad not going, because I know you guys are going to have a lot of fun, even if you don't shoot anything. I couldn't live with myself if you guys bragged about the good time you had and maybe threw in a couple good photos to boot. mad.gif So what the hell, I'm in. Unless, the weather is like it is today. We're suppose to experience gusts up to 45 mph today. Right now the windchill is -13 and it's suppose to get worse. I see that up north, it's suppose to be windy and you're suppose to get 4 - 8 inches of snow. That's not a good combination. Also, it might be nice down here and a blizzard up there, or vice versa. There are a lot of miles between here and there.

Now I just have to check on motel rates. There is a Super 8 in Eveleth and 1 in Hibbing. They are both the same distance from me. I do know the winter rates are lower than the summer rates.

Anyway, hopefully I'm I'll see you guys next weekend.

Looks good XT!....Looks to be a great get together!...I agree!...even if the photo opportunities fall short of expectations,one can still share great conversation over a cup of coffee!....I certainly will be taking some photos of everyone at the meet..gotta do that! grin.gif.................Ken,I don't smoke(never did) and am happy the ban is on...clothes won't smell like stale smoke upon leaving the restaurant grin.gif...looks like a great time will be had by all!

Mike

I see your going to be either in Eveleth or Hibbing on the 29th evening?...if eveleth,you'd be between Steve and I...If you stay in Hibbing, you'd be 5 minutes from me...not sure when you'd be arriving at the motel but sure could get together saturday evening if you'd like, over a cup of coffee and discuss sunday's shoot..just a thought...no doubt you just may be tired from that drive from marshall...maybe you've already made the reservations..

MM...here's a little run down of the bog's history

The name Sax-Zim comes from two old towns in the vicinity, both being situated along St. Louis County Road 7: the village of Sax, (which used to be called Wallace), was named for Solomon Saxe, an Eveleth landowner. Zim was named after a Mr. Zimmerman who managed a nearby logging camp. Meadowlands is the usual starting point for visitors. Other place names in the bog include Kelsey, Elmer, Dumblane, Cotton, Melrude, Central Lakes, Fens, Toivola, Casco, Fermoy, and Payne.

The Sax Zim Bog

One of the top birding locations in the state of Minnesota, this expansive conifer bog is located 10 minutes south of Eveleth and about 45 minutes northwest of Duluth. It is easily accessible to birders who frequently find Sharp-tailed Grouse, Great Gray Owl, Black-backed Woodpecker, Yellow-bellied Flycatcher, Boreal Chickadee, Sedge Wren, Connecticut Warbler, and Le Conte's Sparrow throughout the area. Much of the bog can be viewed by automobile.

Habitat

Sax-Zim has long been known to birders as an excellent spot to see northern wildlife. The habitat consists of a mix of spruce, tamarack, and northern white cedar bogs, plus alder swamps and upland deciduous woodlands. There are also lowland hardwood species such as black ash, as well as isolated hayfields and sedge meadows. You can see these from various township and county roads or you can venture out into the bogs themselves. The bog is a mixture of state, county, and private lands, plus the Cloquet Valley State Forest, Whiteface River State Forest, and both the Sax and the Zim Wildlife Management Areas.

Birds of the Bog

The Northern Goshawk, Sharp-tailed Grouse, Ruffed Grouse, Great Gray Owl, Black-backed Woodpecker, Black-billed Magpie, Gray Jay, Boreal Chickadee, and Red-breasted Nuthatch are just a few of the permanent residents found year round in the bog. Birds to look for in the winter include Rough-legged Hawk, Snowy Owl, Northern Hawk Owl, Northern Shrike, Snow Bunting, White-winged Crossbill, and both redpolls. Some species breeding here in the summer months are Upland Sandpiper, Yellow-bellied Flycatcher, Alder Flycatcher, Winter Wren, Sedge Wren, Golden-winged Warbler, Mourning Warbler, Connecticut Warbler, and Bobolink. Black bears are not uncommon and pine martens, moose, and timber wolves have also been spotted here.

Directions

From Duluth go about 40 miles north on U.S. Highway 53 to County Road 133. This interesction is the approximate southeastern corner of the bog. You can turn left on County Road 133 and begin heading west toward the town of Meadowlands or continue up U.S. 53 for six miles to the town of Cotton, then head west on County Road 52 (Arkola Avenue). This east/west road is at about the midpoint of the bog.

XT - I don't know if you've checked the hotel rates in Duluth (I'm sure they're not cheaper). But if you happen to find a reasonable place in Duluth, you can always hitch a ride up and around the bog with me. I don't know if this cuts down mileage for you from Marshall as you'd have to come farther east. If it happens to work out, shoot me an email at mikecary23 at hotmail. See you all at the Rocket. cool.gif

just checked the weather channel for the upcomming 8 days or so up in the "north"...gray...gray...and more gray smirk.gif...sure would be nice to get some blue sky/sunny day shots for the bog shoot........snow flurries expected for the 30th... grin.gif....as long as it isn't a fullblown snowfall grin.gif

I just checked my weather site for all the key locations between here and Meadowlands. Saturday looks good all the way and the worst I see for Sunday is a 20% chance of light snow. Unfortunately, we know how fast the forecast can change. Time will tell.

Jonny, coffee on Saturday nite sounds good. The Super 8 in Hibbing is $7 cheaper than in Eveleth, and they're both about 38 miles from Meadowlands. You may want to email me your cell number. You'll find my email address in my profile.

Mr. Cary, thanks much for the offer to help me save on gas. However, I know some of the affordable motels in Duluth, are real dives. I've always done alright with Super 8's. Besides, I plan on taking county roads from Moose Lake to Hibbing. Maybe I'll get lucky and catch something on the way.

So, pending weather conditons, I'll see Jonny Saturday evening and the rest of you in Meadowlands, on Sunday morning. I'll bring plenty of warm clothes, and Steve will bring my boots. Oh, and I better not forget my camera. shocked.gif

I put in a vacation day for Sunday but it hasn't cleared yet, otherwise I was goig to sign up for the trip. The modem on my computer died so I haven't had an internet connection lately and I am on my brothers lap top which I hate trying to type on. I went down through the bog yesterday, saw a few cool things, pileated woodpeckers, shrikes, snowbuntings and my car got attacked by six dogs and a pig in meadowlands. The pig was actaully head butting the front of my car and biting it, this can happen only in Meadowlands. I swear they planned this out. I drive a suzuki esteem, the pig was almost as big as the car. Take a drive up Pine Rd and see it for yourself. I'm not sure how far east johny is bring you but Stone Lake Rd has open water in the ditches and beaver are coming out onto the snow. Might be able to get some ditch beaver shots. I seem to see shrikes on that road often too and the snow buntings where on Hwy 7.

Jay....certainly welcome!...try and make it if you can!....I know where stoney road is but not the pig grin.gif...don't think I want "pig dents" in my ranger XLT shocked.gif....I returned from the bog a couple hours ago....threw some goodies for the birdies grin.gif....ran into a few "birders" with their cameras...one group from Duluth(Mike Hendrickson,quite a renowned birder that digiscopes,also has a great birding blog)...another guy from Chicago looking for great grays(good luck)...birders were in the bog today in full force! grin.gif....I saw a lone doe down a secluded back road and a few woodpeckers of different species...and of course chickadees,not sure if any were boreals.some were to far to identify...roads weren't bad at all,even South Admiral...not sure after the upcoming snows we're supposed to get...time will tell....here's a few of todays images of the "Bog"...not the best lighting conditions for images!

this doe was about 250 yards down a secluded unused road:

Frame_DSCN0055-1.JPG

Frame_DSCN0063-3copy.jpg

Frame_DSCF9721-1.JPG

Frame_DSCF9702-1.JPG

Frame_DSCF9705copy.jpg

Frame_DSCF9719copy.jpg

Frame_DSCF9716copy.jpg