• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

AR help needed...

Thanks Guys!!! The "dark side" feels pretty good!! Not to the wallet however.. \:o

"BRD" is already taking it's toll with a few things being ordered up today... I should have it all up and running by the weekend and ready to complete the barrel break in. I already have 5 rounds through her and 5 cleanings under her belt. I was not quite the dirty shooter as I thought it was going to be.

Tell me a bit about Black Hills ammo... I see that it's considered a "reman" and I was wondering if this was going to be a good choice for break in or not as DPMS say the use of "reloaded" ammo will void any warranty. Currently, I have a few boxes of Hornady 55 grain V-Max that I'll be using.

Caribou eh? Do you happen to know if the rifle range is still in operation? Also, what are their charges?

Moose, My Dtech loves the Black Hills 52 gr match moly hollowpoint. Dime sized groups at 100 yards and no problems.

If I remember right, the blue boxes are re-man and the red boxes are new ammo. Either works well for me.

You'll want to stay away from the real cheap brands of ammo. Some of them are steel bullets with a copper "plating", not a copper jacket. These will wear your barrel out fast.

I bet if you asked DPMS about the Blackhills reloads, they would tell you go right ahead and use it.

They have a HSOforum, if you look them up on the DNR site their number is there as well....Last time I was there it was $10 for unlimited time.

I used to shoot dime size groups with BH blue reman 52 grainer vmax, but I am reloading the 55's and 60 grain vmax now. I have discovered that seating depth is key with my AR. Black Hills seats their ammo a little longer than other manufacturers I measured. Steer clear of all steel cased ammo, it has that green lacquer on it......I used to have an SKS that used to gobble up that green steel, but I will not shoot it in my AR, partly because of the $ I spent on it......

Originally Posted By: Kodiak
just dont shoot the ultramax, i used that on my lr-308 dpms and it ripped the lips off the cases the brass is junk from ultramax..

I agree 100%, do not use Ultramax, I had a box and I couldn't even get close to 4" at 100yards.

I actually liked Federal 55gr softpoint for general shooting and Hornady VMax 55gr for hunting.